Music Banter - View Single Post - Ambient music? What is it?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
thegoldlaw
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
hmm interesting topic.

i'd say it's an amalgamation of the views you present.

for myself the background aspect of it is very crucial. for the most part, good ambient music shouldn't feature any real jarring or bombastic elements. it's something i find good to listen to while trying to get to sleep but not necessarily specific to background music, a cinematic score is not necessarily ambient.
This excludes alot of aphex, because its notorious for being both jarring and bombastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post

i think the idea of the focus being on sounds over notes is spot on. i don't necessarily agree that it's music without distinctive sound though. if anything i think too many musicians are conditioned to perform based on the instrument they use, as in if you pick up a guitar you're 'supposed' to play guitar (ie: chords or riffs or lead).
This includes alot of aphex twins because most of his sounds are extremely abstract and not used by others. And his beats are almost never polished rather randomly thrown around.

So with what you said above is aphex more or less ambient because those 2 lines seem to suggest he is and isnt ambient @ the same time.
thegoldlaw is offline   Reply With Quote