Music Banter - View Single Post - So do you feel rock will be on top again
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #39 (permalink)
Roygbiv
marquee moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
Yeah, Society has been in a state of un - doing since the forties if you listen to the naysayers who say "nay" and wind up sounding like horses...

Will rock ever be on top again... I'd like to say yes, but I have a feeling it's going to be a no. That's not because rock is old, terrible or whatever, but I think popular music has been so swallowed up by big business, its turly hard / almost impossible for a band to come out and mess things up - the only "stir" you get out of a new rock band these days are the kinds that are created by their record company or distributor...

I think companies have the market so well pinned down these days its impossible to have anything dominant at all...

The record companies know a certain percentage of their audience love, rock, alternative, soft rock, adult contemporary, rap, r and b, funk, dance, electronic, etc...

They plan charts and figures, graphs and spreadsheets based on sales and they promote according to their sales needs. Like in any other retailing business, its all counted down to the nth degree, planned and then reflected upon for future planning.

They'll serve up the audience what they want in proportions equal to the demand.

This, I believe has pretty much accelerated a stagnating effect on most musical styles - artists need their labels, they need their work distributed, promoted, funded until it sells well...

I know I seem slightly jaded, cynical, but I just think this is the truth.
This, and perhaps being desensitized. There's so much music nowadays - from so many genres, and thanks to the internet, from so many people - your cousin's friend's son could make an album of original songs and be heard by the masses - that rock just doesn't matter anymore.

Nothing really matters anymore, in terms of music. It's all about the bands now. One person may love Animal Collective (psychedelic rock) as much as they enjoy Dizzee Rascal (hip-hop).

Saying you like Rock or any genre really just means you haven't decided, or are too lazy to name all your favourite bands.