Music Banter - View Single Post - Greetings From Gavin B.
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
LKJ AND GSH! Two poets on stage. I bet it was a great gig.
I was working as the deejay at the concert and was thrilled when Gil-Scott Heron tapped me on the shoulder in the deejay booth and introduced himself as "Gil" and asked me if he could help as selector. I was tongue tied during most of the half hour he joined me as sound selector. At least I didn't grovel and say "I am not worthy" in the pathetic manner of Wayne and Garth when they met their Aerosmith heroes.

I was sad to read about Gil's problems with alcohol and drugs a few years later because he's one of the few music people I've met who had a genenrosity of spirit. Gil's affable nature was a surprise to me, since his poetry is generally preceived as hostile toward white guys like me.

Linton Kwesi Johnson was less gregarious than Gil-Scott but his performance raised the roof of the club. Dennis Bovell's Dub Band that backed LKJ was hands down the best live reggae band I've ever heard. The Dub Band's sound board operator did mind bending live dubs of the band straight from the mix board. He had an amazing set of ears and a precise sense of musical timing. Dennis Bovell is guitar playing is amazing and goes largely unnoticed by other accomplished players.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote