Music Banter - View Single Post - Electronic jazz
Thread: Electronic jazz
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
ixtlan22
Loves Jan Terri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarko View Post
Hmmm maybe if this was a thread about jazz fusion... You could add those to the list...

Unfortunately this is about electronic jazz. Or Nu-Jazz...
I'm sorry I offended you Zarko, but what's with the hang up on genres? The original poster seemed to be looking for jazz with more electronic (I thought of the word electric too, apparently there is a massive distinction between these two words) elements. He asked about a dedicated group with a unique style. Naturally I thought of the Miles group. Fusion is a word invented after Bitches Brew came out. Electric, electronic, whatever you want to call it, its jazz(ish) and it has electr(on)ic elements. No not electronicA elements. But I didn't assume that by electronic he meant electronica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post

Now, If you want to give me an essay that all this is trash and old-school stuff is the best yadayada, say it elsewhere.
I'd love to give you an essay but all it needs is a few sentences instead. In general, if there is one thing that binds all of what people call 'jazz' together (even that **** Kenny G and the smooth 'jazz' ****e in the world) it is improvisation. Skalpel are two DJs mixing samples together to create tunes... maybe one of them is the drummer. Point being, it lacks improvisation. At any rate, I'm sorry I even said anything because nitpicking about genres creates wasteful arguments about electric vs. electronic vs. fusion vs. who the **** cares the kid wants to listen to some new music.

To the original poster, I sincerely apologize if I have led you astray to something horrific and not at all what you had in mind! God only knows how dangerous some music can be to a person's mind!
ixtlan22 is offline   Reply With Quote