Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Marley "sun is shining" remix
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

I don't like any of the remixes of Marley's music. Marley is the rare musician who is a sacred cow and remixing his music is an act of blasphemy. It's a bit like doing disco remixes of Buddy Holly or Robert Johnson's music. I'm not disrespecting those who like the remixes because musical taste is in the ears of the beholder. I've heard authorized dub mixes of Marley's work and they work because Bob had some creative control over the finished product.

Rita Marley has made some bad decisions on the licensing Bob's recordings at Tuff Gong and as a result there are far too many bad compilations of his music and bad remixes of his music. I don't think you get a complete picture of Bob's amazing legacy unless you buy his original albums because so many of his musical gems never appear on anthologies. The same old 30-40 early songs produced by Lee Perry or Leslie Kong keep appearing over and over on compilations.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of Marley's earliest music remastered for better sound fidelity. For instance the sound quality of Wailers' Burnin', Rastaman Vibration and Catch A Fire could all improve with a 24 bit remastering.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote