Music Banter - View Single Post - Ipod irritations...
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
The ipod prevents you from taking music form your ipod and putting it onto a computer. There are special programs to try and get around this, but certainly do not work very efficiently.

The new Ipods have different connection ports and will not charge (will play though) on almost any docking bays. My Altec Lansing bay does not work with sisters new Ipod because of this.

They own the majority of the market...Yes there are plenty of other players out there, but all hail in comparison to the almighty Ipod (in sales and such).

The .m4a file type. Not necessarily made by them but used with there Itunes store. This is a file that many Media Players and portable devices will not recognize. Also Itunes or anything apple will not play any Widows files such as WmA. This is the format most CD's are in, which makes it a real pain in the ass when you have to convert each one to .m4a.
All these issues have very simple ways to resolve them...
1) iDump is a pretty good way to move your music on your iPod to your computer. Free and fast, too.
2) I have an iHome and I can use every gen iPod made so far with it. It came with different size docks so it's adjustable to fit different sizes of iPods and it works damn well. If yours doesn't work that well, that's not Apple's fault. They've created a $2 billion accessory industry for the iPod, not exactly a monopoly.
4) The .m4a file was an audio format made specifically for the video iPod so that it could sync with video feed more efficiently. If you really hate it you can a) convert the files yourself or b) use a different program to rip music onto the iPod. I must also remind you that .wma files are designed specifically for Windows applications, and Microsoft makes a significant amount of money selling licenses to music player manufacturers. It doesn't take much reason to figure out why Apple wouldn't shell out money to Microsoft for a license they don't need. The real question is why Windows Media Player doesn't have a built-in converter to switch .m4a files back to .wma yet.

Personally I have enough experience with other mp3 players to realize that the vast majority of them are complete shit and not worth the money spent.