Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
The ipod prevents you from taking music form your ipod and putting it onto a computer. There are special programs to try and get around this, but certainly do not work very efficiently.

The new Ipods have different connection ports and will not charge (will play though) on almost any docking bays. My Altec Lansing bay does not work with sisters new Ipod because of this.

They own the majority of the market...Yes there are plenty of other players out there, but all hail in comparison to the almighty Ipod (in sales and such).

The .m4a file type. Not necessarily made by them but used with there Itunes store. This is a file that many Media Players and portable devices will not recognize. Also Itunes or anything apple will not play any Widows files such as WmA. This is the format most CD's are in, which makes it a real pain in the ass when you have to convert each one to .m4a.
All these issues have very simple ways to resolve them...
1) iDump is a pretty good way to move your music on your iPod to your computer. Free and fast, too.
2) I have an iHome and I can use every gen iPod made so far with it. It came with different size docks so it's adjustable to fit different sizes of iPods and it works damn well. If yours doesn't work that well, that's not Apple's fault. They've created a $2 billion accessory industry for the iPod, not exactly a monopoly.
4) The .m4a file was an audio format made specifically for the video iPod so that it could sync with video feed more efficiently. If you really hate it you can a) convert the files yourself or b) use a different program to rip music onto the iPod. I must also remind you that .wma files are designed specifically for Windows applications, and Microsoft makes a significant amount of money selling licenses to music player manufacturers. It doesn't take much reason to figure out why Apple wouldn't shell out money to Microsoft for a license they don't need. The real question is why Windows Media Player doesn't have a built-in converter to switch .m4a files back to .wma yet.

Personally I have enough experience with other mp3 players to realize that the vast majority of them are complete shit and not worth the money spent.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post
^^There are many pieces of software that will let you plug in your ipod and copy the music back onto your computer.

As for not using iTunes, I've also said a lot of times that I use MediaMonkey. I do believe that the other big players will also sync ipods, but not sure which. MM far surpases these, but other people prefer other players.
DO you know if there is any way to use Windows Media PLayer to do this?
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post
^^There are many pieces of software that will let you plug in your ipod and copy the music back onto your computer.

As for not using iTunes, I've also said a lot of times that I use MediaMonkey. I do believe that the other big players will also sync ipods, but not sure which. MM far surpases these, but other people prefer other players.
Thanks for the advice. I just put my library into Media Monkey and am now syncing Ipod with it. Great program. I even have a WMP11 skin to go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
All these issues have very simple ways to resolve them...
1) iDump is a pretty good way to move your music on your iPod to your computer. Free and fast, too.
I will try this. If it works like you say thats great because I really need a place to back up the music. (Portability as least)
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
The .m4a file type. Not necessarily made by them but used with there Itunes store. This is a file that many Media Players and portable devices will not recognize. Also Itunes or anything apple will not play any Widows files such as WmA. This is the format most CD's are in, which makes it a real pain in the ass when you have to convert each one to .m4a.
It looks like other people addressed you other points, but I just wanted to mention that WmA is not the format most CDs are in. In fact I've never seen a commercially produced music CD that was in that format. They are in a format that is native only to CD players, so anytime you are importing songs from a CD to your computer you are converting them to something whether that format is WmA or m4a or mp3 or wav or whatever.

Also, iTunes does play some Window files, such as wav.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It looks like other people addressed you other points, but I just wanted to mention that WmA is not the format most CDs are in. In fact I've never seen a commercially produced music CD that was in that format. They are in a format that is native only to CD players, so anytime you are importing songs from a CD to your computer you are converting them to something whether that format is WmA or m4a or mp3 or wav or whatever.

Also, iTunes does play some Window files, such as wav.
Ic. Every CD I have gotten from the library and burned to my computer through Itunes would say that it would have to convert it from .WMA to .m4a
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
Ic. Every CD I have gotten from the library and burned to my computer through Itunes would say that it would have to convert it from .WMA to .m4a
CDs use a format called Red Book audio, your computer displays it as .WMA because Windows has to translate it to that format to make it readable. I'm on a Mac and when I put a CD in my computer I never see .WMA and instead see .AIFF (or I think sometimes .WAV) because that's how my computer translates it. The extension you see is based on what your particular operating system uses rather than what the CD itself contains.

Anyway, why would you have to convert it to .m4a? You can set your iTunes preferences to import it as a whole bunch of different file formats.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm

Last edited by Janszoon; 01-29-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

I just wish Macs themselves weren't so goddamn expensive.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
CDs use a format called Red Book audio, your computer displays it as .WMA because Windows has to translate it to that format to make it readable. I'm on a Mac and when I put a CD in my computer I never see .WMA and instead see .AIFF (or I think sometimes .WAV) because that's how my computer translates it. The extension you see is based on what your particular operating system uses rather than what the CD itself contains.

Anyway, why would you have to convert it to .m4a? You can set your iTunes preferences to import it as a whole bunch of different file formats.
Allright that makes sence then.

And it really doesnt matter now, ( would have been nice to know though) I just switched over to MediaMonkey and am very pleased. Syncs well, many great features and some solid skins.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I just wish Macs themselves weren't so goddamn expensive.
True that. I always get them because I do freelance work and they're the standard in the industry I work in, but I sure wish they were cheaper.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Default

Funny thing is, this person created the exact topic on another forum I go to. 4 minutes before this one
WithAnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.