Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #2261 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I guess as a Brit and not a very religious one at that I simply dont understand the offence taken to it. As far as I can tell theres little in the film that either wasnt already in the Bible or that hasnt been written/spoken before rather than come directly from the pen of Mel Gibson and it seems that a lot of the main protest was the effect that any inaccuracies and such a graphic storytelling of Jesus' torture by Jewish soldiers could have on attitudes towards Jews even now.

I understand some of the "concerns" but I fail to see how any of it was anti - Semitic. Maybe I'm overlooking a lot, I dont know.
Yeah, I didn't really see where the complaints of anti-semitism were coming from either. The movie was no more or less anti-semitic than christianity in general.

That said, I still thought it was a pretty awful movie. It was basically a two hour exercise in torture with really no sense of context or character. As a result there was nothing about it that engaged me on any level. And the overuse of slow-motion was so absurd that it actually got kind of funny after a while.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote