Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter's Essential Collections Discussion
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
iksosept
Music Addict

^allright then! it now seems like a lot of work, but as soon as we have a complete list, I could imagine it to run automaticly. What's the big deal of putting your favorite records of some genre on a list and post it in some topic. I think everyone will love to do that, it's just that no one wants to think it all through now.

well as for you Jackhammer it will be some work still, no doubt. But you could delegate some of us to do some of the counting, just give us some genre and we'll do it. I will, if you want me to.
I'd take the soul, pop, jazz, funk topics (not that those are my favorites in general, but I'm still not familiar with all the subgenres of rock etc)

Speaking of it, similar to the education topics we could all copy and paste the list and each put some artists as examples behind the genres, so that we can discuss and will be on one with each other where to put the records later on (less confusion when the actual process starts)

but first, let's reflect on the list.

-Heavy Metal 70's
-Heavy Metal 80's
-Heavy Metal 90's
-Heavy Metal 00's

-Garage / Proto-Punk

-Pre 1990 Punk
-Post 1990 Punk

-Alternative 80's
-Alternative 90's
-Alternative 00's

-Post Punk
-New Wave (?)

-Shoe Gaze

-Brit Pop

-Progressive Rock / Art Rock

-Psychedelic / Krautrock

-Rock n Roll / Rockabilly

-Hard Rock

-Classic Rock

-Modern Rock / Nu Metal / Rap Rock

-Noise Rock

-Post Rock

-Experimental

-Grunge / Post-Grunge

-Blues

-Funk

-Soul / Rhythm'n'Blues

-Pop (including contemporary R'n'B) Pre1995
-Pop (including contemporary R'n'B, Neo Soul) Post1995

-Classical (Composers instead of Albums)

-Jazz

-Electronica pre2000
-Electronica post2000

-Hip Hop pre1995
-Hip Hop post1995

-Reggae

-Ska

-Folk / Folk Rock / Roots

-World Music (?)

so, do we keep World Music? I had my doubts before, but I'm on now.
What's the deal with New Wave? is it a promising genre itself, or does it fit somewhere?
What about EBM? I've learned some of you like that stuff. should it be an own category, or does it fit somewhere?

Are you all satisfied with the decades of some categories?
I thought it would be good to have 2 categories with pop, hip hop and electronica, but put the border of electronica 5 years later, because I the genre didn't seem that old to me, but correct me if I'm wrong! if there's enough electronica before 1990 we could also make it pre1990,1990-2000,post2000 !?

Last edited by iksosept; 02-05-2009 at 11:19 AM.
iksosept is offline   Reply With Quote