Music Banter - View Single Post - Why Christian Bale is my all-time favorite rock music critic
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I took it a bit differently. I see all of his monologues about music as him simply parroting things he's read about these bands. He listens to the bands in question not because he really finds any depth in them (he's a soulless psychopath, how could he?) but because these bands have been mentioned in the right magazines and are beloved by members of the right social strata. The bands, and his feigned attempts at serious discussion of them, are just another accessory to make him look cool, just like his designer shoes or his fancy business cards. Ultimately it's all about his narcissism.
I bow to your more succinct analysis. It's a far more accurate picture of how a sociopath compensates for his lack of a core of human emotion. The sociopath learns by imitating those who have feelings to articulate because he has none. Your comments are an insightful psychoanalytic perspective on the mind set of a narcissistic sociopath.