Music Banter - View Single Post - Dub Music Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouF95 View Post
Hi, I just joined the Forum. I'm a big Reggae Dub Fan. I still listen to Lee Perry and Linton Kwesi Johnson(LKJ In Dub).

I wonder if anyone has listened to the CD Sound System Dub by Alpha & Omega. I absolutely love this CD. It's basically a best of Alpha & Omega CD. I have listened to it off and on for almost 2 years. It's ethereal and sometimes it's eerie or spiritual sounding. I believe they are from the UK.

I recently purchased Disassemble Dub by Phase Selector Sound. There are 4 good tracks on there and 2 great tracks.

Any recommendations for very rootsy dub music?
A good starting point are some of the collections of dub in the roots reggae style out there:

Dub Reggae Essentials Hip-O Records (2000)
The Trojan Dub Box Sanctuary Records (1999)
This Is Crucial Reggae (Dub) Sanctuary Records (2004)
Towering Dub Inferno Roir Records (1990)
Run It Red Blood and Fire Records (2005)
Heavyweight Sound Blood and Fire Records (1995)
Dubwise and Otherwise Blood and Fire Records (1997)
Heavyweight 2 Blood and Fire Records (1997)
The Rough Guide to Dub RGNET Records (2005)
Arkology (Lee Perry) Island Records (2004)

Those 10 collections cover nearly every essential dub artist in the roots style. It also adequately covers the respective territories of five giants of the golden era of dub: King Tubby, Lee Perry, Mad Professor, Jah Shaka and Scientist. I'll try and come up with a list of essential dub albums because the quality of the work done by each artist was very uneven depending upon the studio they were remixing in and other variables.