Music Banter - View Single Post - By the way, which one's Pink?-Pink Floyd reviewed
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #106 (permalink)
ninaNirvana
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
This album is still worth it for the sensational live tracks and for anyone interested in avant-Garde/ Experimental music. It did'nt always work but kudos to the Floyd for attempting something different, and in hindsight galvanised the band to become a whole songwriting unit and not a disparate bunch of ideas fighting to get noticed.
Bravo, Mr. Jack Hammer. Ummaguma was the watershed Floyd album that, as you say perfectly, "galvanized the band to become a whole songwriting unit and not a disparate bunch of ideas fighting to get noticed" and set the stage for Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, etc..

My parents are HUGE Floyd fans I am sending them the link to all your reviews here. Well done :-) This entire thread is excellent. 5 stars! You should write professionally; you have that flow and style of a seasoned writer and it is obvious that you have a passion for music and for writing about music, and have spent an awful amount of time listening with an open mind and trained ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Lamp View Post
'Meddle', is only second to DSOTM in my record collection. (When it comes to the Floyd) 'Echos', which takes up the whole second side is amazing.

No Floyd thread is complete without bringing up the DSOTM/Wizard of Oz thing. I used to do it monthly with a bunch of friends. It's alot of fun with drinks and a few joints.
Agreed! I think every true Floyd fan needs to do Dark Side Of Oz at least once in their life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Definitely Immortal! This sort of thing where an artist turns surreal life into timeless music is special.

Trying to think of another example.... ???
I couldn't think of a another Floyd example... but
how about Mark Knophler's/Dire Straits ( Sting too ) "Money For Nothing" ...we get to install microwave ovens, custom kitchens....that's the way you do it..money for nothing and your chicks for free...

Something Mark overheard when two working-class gentlemen were pointing at a music video on the televisions on display at an electronics store...

It helped introduce the MTV generation a little more to the world back in the late 80s. I can rememeber the video even though I was only about 5 years old at the time as it had animation graphics and I liked that very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Unbelievably I have never heard any Syd Barrett solo albums!
Maybe I missed another post in here; but lately I have been listening to a lot of Barrett's work on The Madcap Laughs. "Terrapin" and "Dark Globe" are true gems. I think Pete Jenner (manager?) went on to produce Syd Barret after Glimour replaced him in the band. I don't think it is as much an "album" as it is a collection of Barrett songs since he was extremely hard to work with as his descent into LSD-perma-madness was exponentially increasing at that point in his life. Sad story about Syd...I tend to put Syd in the same category as Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain and Ian Curtis of Joy Division.
ninaNirvana is offline   Reply With Quote