Music Banter - View Single Post - A Random Assortment of Favourites
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Akira
Dazed and confuzzled

Buddy Holly and The Crickets - 20 Golden Greats

Not really keen on putting compilations into favourites lists but I can't leave this one out. Buddy Holly's music affects me like no other, there's just something about it that transports me to the era, something about it's stark simplicity and sometimes down right beauty. Nobody has ever made music like this ever since.

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman

Once again, another album that built up with fairly simple tracks. It's the delivery that makes it what it is. Most songs are stripped down to just a basic strum of a guitar, maybe a bit of piano and the rest lies with Cat's vocals. Needless to say, he sings with such passion and emotion whether it's his soft singing or when he's on the verge of shouting.

David Bowie - Hunky Dory

My favourite Bowie album, IMO miles above Ziggy Stardust (which is still great) I definitely prefer him in this era than later on, though his later albums are also an incredible listen. There are some amazing songs on Hunky Dory; Life On Mars is incredible just for the backing instrumentals alone, Changes is one of the best openers, Oh You Pretty Things and Eight Line Poem are also worthy follow-ons.

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

Despite Zappa having an amazing selection of albums to listen to I always find myself coming back to this album. Maybe it's becasue I enjoy the story of it, or that it's a funny album, or that there are some great songs on here; both fun (Catholic Girls) and genius (Watermelon In Easter Hay). A good shoe-in for those not familiar with Zappa's work, it's very accesible, it's cohesive and, once again, fun to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I'd rather my face reek of women's body parts than of comic book ink and dirty NES cartridges.

Last edited by Akira; 02-13-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote