Music Banter - View Single Post - Alcohol
Thread: Alcohol
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 AM   #37 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I like alcohol a lot. Getting drunk is wonderful .. it's my favourite state for music enjoyment as well.

Especially when I've been in the arctic, alcohol has been easy to come by and very cheap. Beer is much cheaper than milk up there and mainland-expensive whiskys like 12 year old single malts are very cheap up there as there is no taxation whatsoever. My poison of choice is beer and whisky - the killer combo. Like so many others, I'm very fond of the islay whiskys - Laphroaig, Bowmore, Ardbeg, Lagavulin and so on. Talisker is nice and reliable since every pub here has it and I have some other here-and-there favourites like Knockando which is an excellent speyside.

Other than that, I like some bitters. My favourite is probably Fernet Branca, an italian bitter that my girlfriend hates with a passion. She won't kiss me if I've had it. Gammel Dansk (means "old danish") is probably a bit more rare outside of Scandinavia, but if you see it - try it - and get a beer to go with it .. One sip of beer followed by one sip of gammel dansk followed by one sip of beer etc. It's a proper danish breakfast. Wonderful!

I know a couple of russians and some fins and they really like vodka, so although it sounds like a contradiction to drink something as tasteless as vodka clean, it quickly grew on me and I think it's quite nice. It needs to be cold, though! The russians put it in the freezer and ice doesn't form at -18 centigrades .. at least not if the vodka is proper.