Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #70 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
You're right about Aztec Camera, they are much more poppy than the other postcard bands but i've always got time for Josef K etc, you should check out Orange Juice pronto!
I love me a bit of Josef K as well, I'm just a little more inclined towards the pop melodies of Aztec Camera really. As for Orange Juice, I'm planning another downloading spree in the near future, so I'll probably get some of their stuff too.

Mixtape #4's on the way, as soon as I get the next bunch of albums out the way.

60. Turin Brakes - Jackinabox (2005)

To tell you truth, any of their first three albums are worthwhile, but when I got Jackinabox it came with a limited edition bonus DVD, which made the experience more complete. That and the fact this one packs their best single justify its spot here. Having started as a Simon and Garfunkel-esque acoustic folk duo, this album finds them moving into more of a mainstream, electric territory, adding a little bit of their country influences into the mix, and in general serves as a great middle-ground between modern acoustic and electric rock. A gentle, easygoing and melodious piece of work.
The best bits: Fishing For a Dream, Buildings Wrap Around Me, Jackinabox

59. The New Christs - Distemper (1989)

Founded by Rob Younger, former singer for the massively influential Australian punk rockers Radio Birdman, his first album release with the New Christs is another one of the very best punk albums of the scene. Admittedly, they don't sound that dissimilar to Radio Birdman; they're still the same kind of pissed off, hard-rocking crew, but Distemper is a lot more consistent an album than either of the former's LP releases. Another vital part of any punk library (for want of a better phrase)
The best bits: No Way On Earth, Burning Of Rome, Bed Of Nails

58. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (1970)

Another pretty obvious choice here. A lot's been said about this album, and it's not like any of you don't know who the guy is, so I'll keep this brief. One of the most uplifting albums ever. The lyrics may be a bit preachy in places, but the production and musicianship on show allow such things to be stuck on the back burner.
The best bits: If Not For You, All Things Must Pass, Art Of Dying

57. Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove (1978)

Again, a bit on the obvious side, so I'll keep this short and sweet. I haven't got as much of the funky stuff as I'd like in the old music library, but this is probably my favourite such album. Uplifting, danceable, a little bit f*cked in places, it's the obvious album to start with if you're yet to get into some funk.
The best bits: Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!, Promental****backwashpsychosis Enema Squad, Cholly (Funk Getting Ready To Roll)
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote