Music Banter - View Single Post - Screamo: A Dying Style?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #88 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Nice loss of credibility. Demographic? I didn't realize Jazz and various forms of rock music were somehow targetted toward a specific consituent, unless you are going to feed me some kind of bull**** that drug users are a viable demographic. And age wise, both my grandfather and I enjoy jazz music, so what kind of grouping are you trying to get at here?
this is a perfect example of a hypocritical response. not all people who listen to screamo, emo, or hardcore music are children/emotionally depressed. where's the credibility in intentionally choosing a group (really, children?) that is obviously easy to attack? i'm saying that there is no grouping for screamo listeners, and that the range of people who enjoy it are just as diverse as any other genre of music.

Quote:
Secondly, I never said my opinion was the world's opinion. It was intentionally a blanket statement, but unlike you I'm not representing the sheep. My statement is based on the logical assumption that most of the people who think they know anything about music are primarily stuck in their scene or generation's thinking to begin with, so its natural to assume they don't know anything about other forms of music unless they tell me otherwise.
this basically has nothing to do with what we are arguing. you're saying that anyone who claims to know a lot about music is wrong and essentially stuck in their own realm isn't even remotely relevant to our conversaiotn.

Quote:
And finally, why do I need to be some kind of enthusiast for a genre based around the same 3 1/2-guitar chords, vocals, and 2 lines of subject matter to have a say how annoying it is? Seriously, I'd love to see the ignoramus who'd actually say to me with a straight face "Jazz has no musical merit", because by saying that you are effectively saying any form of music where improvisation and instrumental capability are valued is essentially worthless. If emotional appeal is the only argument you have, then you don't even have an argument;
probably because you couldn't name me three screamo bands that adhere to this mentality. this isn't punk we're talking about, you'll need to step your game up. in my defense, my logical assumption is that you've never heard more that 30 seconds of any screamo band, so how is it that you believe you can pass accurate judgement on an entire genre of diverse musical groups? you claim that only an ignoramus would assert that improvisation and instrumental capability are worthless, yet that's exactly what you just did. the members of screamo bands are not all emotional messes, they're intelligent and creative. saying that screamo isn't worthwhile is dismissing an entire collective of extremely capable artists who create music that you have decided not to spend the time to get to know, let alone understand enough to criticize.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote