Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Punk > Hardcore & Emo
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #81 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
1. Since when has Screamo had any merit as a genre to anyone other than angry pre-teens and scene kids?

2. How is it possible for a thread to get hijacked mid-way by Grunge discussion? Seriously...

3. Screamo bands scream. There's no other way about it. Otherwise the label makes no sense whatsoever. What are you elitists trying to prove here?
Erm you're dumb. Get out.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #82 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
1. Since when has Screamo had any merit as a genre to anyone other than angry pre-teens and scene kids?

2. How is it possible for a thread to get hijacked mid-way by Grunge discussion? Seriously...

3. Screamo bands scream. There's no other way about it. Otherwise the label makes no sense whatsoever. What are you elitists trying to prove here?
What are you trying to prove? That screamo is a pointless, shallow, and insignificant genre of music? Music, an expression of passion and emotion that is so personal that every single human being on the planet can relate to some form of it? So what if screamo doesn't meet your standards of merit? What do you even know about screamo, about worthwhile music? Just because some assholes in black clothes who wear make up call themselves screamo fans does not mean that all screamo is about teenage angst. We're not elitist, but you know what is? Saying that music has no merit because teenage kids listen to it, and because it doesn't prove itself to be important enough to losers like you. Face it, your opinions are not the world's opinions. Your beliefs don't count for shit to some people, especially not in here. Do you see anyone of the posters in this forum come into the Classic Rock or Jazz forums and brazenly state that those genres have no musical value because a certain demographic listen to it? I didn't think so, so keep your arrogant comments and generalizatiosn to yourself.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master Of Muzak
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere swarthy
Posts: 4,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
What are you trying to prove? That screamo is a pointless, shallow, and insignificant genre of music? Music, an expression of passion and emotion that is so personal that every single human being on the planet can relate to some form of it? So what if screamo doesn't meet your standards of merit? What do you even know about screamo, about worthwhile music? Just because some assholes in black clothes who wear make up call themselves screamo fans does not mean that all screamo is about teenage angst. We're not elitist, but you know what is? Saying that music has no merit because teenage kids listen to it, and because it doesn't prove itself to be important enough to losers like you. Face it, your opinions are not the world's opinions. Your beliefs don't count for shit to some people, especially not in here. Do you see anyone of the posters in this forum come into the Classic Rock or Jazz forums and brazenly state that those genres have no musical value because a certain demographic listen to it? I didn't think so, so keep your arrogant comments and generalizatiosn to yourself.
Nice loss of credibility. Demographic? I didn't realize Jazz and various forms of rock music were somehow targetted toward a specific consituent, unless you are going to feed me some kind of bull**** that drug users are a viable demographic. And age wise, both my grandfather and I enjoy jazz music, so what kind of grouping are you trying to get at here?

Secondly, I never said my opinion was the world's opinion. It was intentionally a blanket statement, but unlike you I'm not representing the sheep. My statement is based on the logical assumption that most of the people who think they know anything about music are primarily stuck in their scene or generation's thinking to begin with, so its natural to assume they don't know anything about other forms of music unless they tell me otherwise.

And finally, why do I need to be some kind of enthusiast for a genre mostly based around the same 3 1/2-guitar chords, vocals, and 2 lines of subject matter to have a say how annoying it is? Seriously, I'd love to see the ignoramus who'd actually say to me with a straight face "Jazz has no musical merit", because by saying that you are effectively saying any form of music where improvisation and instrumental capability are valued is essentially worthless. If emotional appeal is the only argument you have, then you don't even have an argument; I could say the same thing about taking a good dump in the toilet every day; I feel cleansed and a lessening of bodily tension after I go, but is it something I want to smell and stare at all day? Hell no bitch!

And really, isn't it humorous that somebody who defends a scene on par with grunge as the single biggest gathering point for children and people with emotional problems is calling me a loser? And Christ, if my opinion is so worthless here, why did you even bother calling me out on it?

Swim's comment made laugh though. What a fine example of this sub-forum's frequenters eh?
__________________
My Top 30 Albums of 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
You can't blame the Jews for everything...just most things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
Trump might be the best thing since free jazz.

Last edited by Anteater; 03-02-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Anteater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #84 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Now now... we can resolve this peacefully. Perhaps you are both right.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #85 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

The Plot to Blow up the Eiffel Tower, Ultra Dolphins, Suis La Lune and Amanda Woodward are definitely 3rd chord unintelligent simplistic bands. Definitely. You really don't know what you're talking about. This thread isn't about whether emo is good or not so you can take that argument elsewhere.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master Of Muzak
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere swarthy
Posts: 4,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
The Plot to Blow up the Eiffel Tower, Ultra Dolphins, Suis La Lune and Amanda Woodward are definitely 3rd chord unintelligent simplistic bands. Definitely. You really don't know what you're talking about. This thread isn't about whether emo is good or not so you can take that argument elsewhere.
I added an extra 1/2 chord in light of Ultra Dolphins to my last post, lol.

And yeah, I'm of the consensus that Screamo is a dying and/or stagnant genre. Happy?
__________________
My Top 30 Albums of 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
You can't blame the Jews for everything...just most things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
Trump might be the best thing since free jazz.
Anteater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #87 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

It's funny you say that considering that The Plot to Blow up the Eiffel Tower carries a lot of jazz influence. Which you're fond of, no? Maybe you should use facts if you'd like to be taken seriously.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #88 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Nice loss of credibility. Demographic? I didn't realize Jazz and various forms of rock music were somehow targetted toward a specific consituent, unless you are going to feed me some kind of bull**** that drug users are a viable demographic. And age wise, both my grandfather and I enjoy jazz music, so what kind of grouping are you trying to get at here?
this is a perfect example of a hypocritical response. not all people who listen to screamo, emo, or hardcore music are children/emotionally depressed. where's the credibility in intentionally choosing a group (really, children?) that is obviously easy to attack? i'm saying that there is no grouping for screamo listeners, and that the range of people who enjoy it are just as diverse as any other genre of music.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Secondly, I never said my opinion was the world's opinion. It was intentionally a blanket statement, but unlike you I'm not representing the sheep. My statement is based on the logical assumption that most of the people who think they know anything about music are primarily stuck in their scene or generation's thinking to begin with, so its natural to assume they don't know anything about other forms of music unless they tell me otherwise.
this basically has nothing to do with what we are arguing. you're saying that anyone who claims to know a lot about music is wrong and essentially stuck in their own realm isn't even remotely relevant to our conversaiotn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
And finally, why do I need to be some kind of enthusiast for a genre based around the same 3 1/2-guitar chords, vocals, and 2 lines of subject matter to have a say how annoying it is? Seriously, I'd love to see the ignoramus who'd actually say to me with a straight face "Jazz has no musical merit", because by saying that you are effectively saying any form of music where improvisation and instrumental capability are valued is essentially worthless. If emotional appeal is the only argument you have, then you don't even have an argument;
probably because you couldn't name me three screamo bands that adhere to this mentality. this isn't punk we're talking about, you'll need to step your game up. in my defense, my logical assumption is that you've never heard more that 30 seconds of any screamo band, so how is it that you believe you can pass accurate judgement on an entire genre of diverse musical groups? you claim that only an ignoramus would assert that improvisation and instrumental capability are worthless, yet that's exactly what you just did. the members of screamo bands are not all emotional messes, they're intelligent and creative. saying that screamo isn't worthwhile is dismissing an entire collective of extremely capable artists who create music that you have decided not to spend the time to get to know, let alone understand enough to criticize.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master Of Muzak
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere swarthy
Posts: 4,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
It's funny you say that considering that The Plot to Blow up the Eiffel Tower carries a lot of jazz influence. Which you're fond of, no? Maybe you should use facts if you'd like to be taken seriously.
Hasn't it been three years now since they've dissipated? Hence, why are they relevant to the question of the genre's current supposed dying state of being?

On their behalf though, hilarity would ensue to have a fan of The Plot come into the Jazz forum and start talking ****.

anticipation:

1. I mentioned that Screamo was a "gathering point" for stupid children and the emotionally screwed up, not that they made up an ENTIRE demographic of listeners to the genre. Is it my fault they they serve as poster examples even when they don't represent folks like you?

2. Hours actually. My roommate has been listening exclusively to Ampere over the last week and its goddamn annoying.

3. Diverse in what sense my friend? Lyrics? Instrumentation? Vocals? I'd love to hear something interesting beyond The Sound of Animals Fighting or The Plot. . Recommend me, as swim did in a sense, a few bands you feel stand out from the vast sea of Teenage Angst of Chiodos and The Used and I'll get back to you with a more positive spin on this discussion. As fun as it is to criticize things in the general sense, its definitely more amusing when you have a discography on hand to provide sources, lol.
__________________
My Top 30 Albums of 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
You can't blame the Jews for everything...just most things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
Trump might be the best thing since free jazz.

Last edited by Anteater; 03-02-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Anteater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #90 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonace View Post
I don't wish to troll but what do you expect with a genre like screamo. For god's sake it's taking one musical technique (sappy emotion, screaming) and stretching it into a genre. The "emotion" these bands put out by screaming isn't even felt after a while, it just gets boring. Sorry, I just had to throw in my opinion.
Well i think theirs a little bit more to the style of Screamo than just 'screaming' which was the point that people were trying to make in this thread as Underoath et al definitely aren't. Anyway, i don't like or understand the elitist bitching on this sub-forum about other genres of music like Metalcore when Screamo is just as generic if not more so than the genres that are mentioned. I think that liking Devil Wears Prada, Underoath etc is just as valid as liking Orchid and Honeywell etc. if you'e gonna roll out the generic argument. I think the problem is people will try and find a way of proving that the music that they like is intrinsically better than music other people like to validate themselves and feel superior and so will think of reasons to pick apart what otehr people like and label it 'generic' or 'scene' or whatever, but a genre like Grindcore is generic as they come, but ist never criticised. But i bet if a bunch of scene kids started jumping on Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Nasums ****s this whole forum would deride those bands as 'lame' or scene bull**** or whatever. I think i'm rambling a bit but you get the gist.
Gareth Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.