Music Banter - View Single Post - 75 Year Old Saudi Woman Sentenced To Lashes...
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
Kamikazi Kat
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
"Intellectual damage"? The first universities were seminaries! The Church has been steeped in the education of people; the first professors, scientists, lawyers and doctors were all clergy. There is nothing inherently wrong with religion. Where religion fails is when people misinterpret the intention of authors of holy books.
What would of stopped these advancements in education if religion didn't exist? Sure, the first universities may have been seminaries, but that doesn't mean the idea of educating the people should be attributed to religion.

Religion fails with the continuation of old, out-dated values and rules and with the lack of these old and out-dated values not being openly questioned by the religious community. The idea of believing in a god, that you must be a good person to go to heaven, that general concept, isn't bad. The problem with religion is it isn't just about "I'm going to try and be a good person so I can get into heaven" it turns into this "The church says I have to do this/be like this/act like this/think like this so I can get into the heaven." For the most part, religion isn't something on a personal level, it is on a highly organized level that leads to dangerous things.
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote