Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post

I only remember getting smacked on the hand once, which is trivial, and I'm thankful for that. Aside from that one incident, my parents never tried to force or scare me into obedience.
haha if only English kids were so good! I can't find the link but there was an article recently in BBC News, some professional or other warning that schools/parents are raising a generation of narcissists with a 'me,me,me' mentality, and there are an unprecedented amount of complaints from parents when their children don't get perfect marks on their spelling test etc.

I wonder if the parents this 'warning' is leveled at advocate mild physical punishment in extreme cases? It's almost certain that my parents' generation (for whom there was never any question of getting a smack if you took the piss) are on average more willing to smack their kids than new parents today.

One of the arguments against smacking seems to be that it makes your child develop an aggression complex; if that's the case in today's society where less and less kids are being punished this way then why did the UK government feel the need to introduce ASBO's (anti-social behaviour orders) for an increasingly materialistic and violent youth?
It's a tabloid cliche I know, there have always been binge drinkers (another hot topic in the UK tabloids right now) and anti-social kids but I'm basing it more on statistics I have read and my parents' memories growing up, and how things have changed according to them (rose-tinted nostalgia and senility are accounted for ).

It's important to remember that ultraviolence in everyday entertainment and culture in general is totally acceptable nowadays, and there are entire genres of music that are paean to the false gangster culture - these are all going to have an additional affect on kids today, children have been smacked forever I haven't seen any substantial evidence that it turns them into raving psychopaths

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote