Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the T.V. a brainwash device or are people just parnoid
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #67 (permalink)
joyboyo53
down the rabbit hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
Well, sometimes people post something about what they think is the general state of things. If that's not the general state for me in the corner of the world I'm in, I tend to specify. I also take care to state if something is an opinion, if something relates to a specific geographical region or if something I say is backed by sources.

If you feel offended by my posts, that's not my intention. For example, when I wrote "90% of american parents use corporal punishment", that's because it's what it says word for word in the article I found and quoted. The research could've been done in England or Paraguay, but hey, it wasn't. Conditions etc. from America are gonna be overrepresented in studies and are gonna be compared with because you live in the world's bellybutton and you guys are highly represented on this forum. If you feel I'm mocking you guys, then perhaps you're either misunderstanding my posts or you don't like the objectively described America.
its not that i dont like the 'objectively described america', its just that you use generalizations to describe over 300 million people. and im not misunderstanding your post, you just not being very objective when you use words like 'worship'. you and i both know before i goto bed i pray to brad and angelina; that is right after i beat my metaphorical child silly, and drag homeless people out of hospitals.

if norway was so oblivious to celebrity gossip, then how do you know that we care so much about ours, or about the subject at all? did you write your thesis on american behavior? i also find it hard to believe that norway doesnt follow celebrity gossip of any sort, in fact i imagine they sell british and us gossip magazines there...which is possibly worse.

if you made comments about how america differs from norway then it would be one thing, but you dont. you make condescending comments about how norway is better than america, under the guise of 'objectivity'. when was your last trip to the states? which of the 50 did you visit? how long were you here?