Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Shut up. The syntax of your posts shows a basic inability to communicate intelligently. The actual content of your posts only makes your grammatics all the more telling. There have been several instances where you've said things that were objectively wrong and then when called out on them you either: A. ignore them B. say you need to do more "research."

You seem to have some sort of charlatan complex but let me be the first to tell you it's obvious to everyone in here that you don't know what you're talking about most, if not all the time. Posters in here, including myself, have humored you by taking your posts seriously but now your style is just starting to disrupt intelligent and constructive discussion. Your arguments lack basic coherency and direction. You seem unable to stick to any sort of thesis or opinion and are constantly bringing in random comparisons and statements to back up your stupid arguments. Stupidity, is of course, excusable but charlatanism, particularly obvious charlatanism isn't.
Big words dont make you smart sleepy, they just make you take longer to post.
__________________
Attempting to find a cure for Stupid...
Yukon Cornelius is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #62 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Big words don't take me longer to post as, unlike you, I'm not pretending to be smarter then I am. I'm already aware of the words proper usage and it only takes me the time it takes me to type it out to post it. It's so very British of you to accuse me of trying to argue semantics yet you turn around and start an argument about vocabulary.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Big words don't take me longer to post as, unlike you, I'm not pretending to be smarter then I am. I'm already aware of the words proper usage and it only takes me the time it takes me to type it out to post it. It's so very British of you to accuse me of trying to argue semantics yet you turn around and start an argument about vocabulary.
Im not british Sleepy, I live in Texas

It takes alot of though to tell someone to shut up.
__________________
Attempting to find a cure for Stupid...
Yukon Cornelius is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #64 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Big words don't take me longer to post as, unlike you, I'm not pretending to be smarter then I am. I'm already aware of the words proper usage and it only takes me the time it takes me to type it out to post it. It's so very British of you to accuse me of trying to argue semantics yet you turn around and start an argument about vocabulary.
Did I not just state that I was not the smartest person in the world not even close.

how about you answer permalink # 60 and stick to topic rather than trying to out wit a stupid guy like me.
__________________
Attempting to find a cure for Stupid...
Yukon Cornelius is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #65 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
I apologize for not replying, I was dodging all the B-s.

That sounds good...

I feel like ppl are here to debate every last word or misunderstanding. I never claimed to be the most intellegent person in the world not even close. It just doesnt take a genius to see the bigger picture. Like it or not, America is controlled by the media. All I have gotten thus far is distaste and anger over degrading something as simplistic as a cell Phone. God for bid they didnt exist.

Moving along in a particular post it was stated that TVs and cell phones had nothing to do with each other. I debated back with a common TV cell Phone slogan " can you hear me now" obviously there was more to it since I had to
stress that point.

I am in no way attacking anyone and appreciate educated answers rather than cop outs. Originally I intended this thread to help my understanding of this theory. It only fueled anger and distaste with claims of convenince rather than answer a simple question. If you watch tv or not wasent the issue even though it took that turn.

My conclusion nobody wants to hear about what they are doing to help fuel the media giant. Like it or not this proves my point even further. Agreed some Items may be soley for Convenince but that should not constitue a burden for me. It should be a choice not a requirment.
You're attacking three entirely different things here. One is the mass media, the other is television, and then the last one is cellphones. This is what I mean by you being unable to stick to one topic when arguing your opinions. The mass media may exist on the television but television isn't the mass media...and the cellphone is neither of them. Cellphone may advertise on television but that is it. You haven't actually laid out an argument for how the mass media controls everything; all you've done is trying and string together a bunch of random opinions that have nothing to do with each other and form no coherent argument. This the problem. You want people to discuss things with you but there's nothing to discuss except random vague statements.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #66 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
You're attacking three entirely different things here. One is the mass media, the other is television, and then the last one is cellphones. This is what I mean by you being unable to stick to one topic when arguing your opinions. The mass media may exist on the television but television isn't the mass media...and the cellphone is neither of them. Cellphone may advertise on television but that is it. You haven't actually laid out an argument for how the mass media controls everything; all you've done is trying and string together a bunch of random opinions that have nothing to do with each other and form no coherent argument. This the problem. You want people to discuss things with you but there's nothing to discuss except random vague statements.

Thats because they are all related.

Mass media is a term used to denote a section of the media specifically envisioned and designed to reach a very large audience such as the population of a nation state. It was coined in the 1920s with the advent of nationwide radio networks, mass-circulation newspapers and magazines, although mass media (like books and manuscripts) were present centuries before the term became common. The term public media has a similar meaning: it is the sum of the public mass distributors of news and entertainment across media such as newspapers, television, radio, broadcasting, which may require union membership in some large markets such as Newspaper Guild, AFTRA, & text publishers. The concept of mass media is complicated in some internet media as now individuals have a means of potential exposure on a scale comparable to what was previously restricted to select group of mass media producers.
Wiki

I did note earlier more than 90% of these items stating in my opinion that TV is the worse one. My reason... Would be the assumtion that a larger number of ppl have TV then do any other input. Internet close second however i didnt study maybe greater with the introduction of mobile internet.

Cell phones are constantly pushed by mass media, And constantly feed you more. that was just one example.
All I got from that was pure hell. Nothing but B-s and cop outs
__________________
Attempting to find a cure for Stupid...
Yukon Cornelius is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #67 (permalink)
down the rabbit hole
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: the mountain called monkey
Posts: 764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
Well, sometimes people post something about what they think is the general state of things. If that's not the general state for me in the corner of the world I'm in, I tend to specify. I also take care to state if something is an opinion, if something relates to a specific geographical region or if something I say is backed by sources.

If you feel offended by my posts, that's not my intention. For example, when I wrote "90% of american parents use corporal punishment", that's because it's what it says word for word in the article I found and quoted. The research could've been done in England or Paraguay, but hey, it wasn't. Conditions etc. from America are gonna be overrepresented in studies and are gonna be compared with because you live in the world's bellybutton and you guys are highly represented on this forum. If you feel I'm mocking you guys, then perhaps you're either misunderstanding my posts or you don't like the objectively described America.
its not that i dont like the 'objectively described america', its just that you use generalizations to describe over 300 million people. and im not misunderstanding your post, you just not being very objective when you use words like 'worship'. you and i both know before i goto bed i pray to brad and angelina; that is right after i beat my metaphorical child silly, and drag homeless people out of hospitals.

if norway was so oblivious to celebrity gossip, then how do you know that we care so much about ours, or about the subject at all? did you write your thesis on american behavior? i also find it hard to believe that norway doesnt follow celebrity gossip of any sort, in fact i imagine they sell british and us gossip magazines there...which is possibly worse.

if you made comments about how america differs from norway then it would be one thing, but you dont. you make condescending comments about how norway is better than america, under the guise of 'objectivity'. when was your last trip to the states? which of the 50 did you visit? how long were you here?
joyboyo53 is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #68 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Thats because they are all related.

Mass media is a term used to denote a section of the media specifically envisioned and designed to reach a very large audience such as the population of a nation state. It was coined in the 1920s with the advent of nationwide radio networks, mass-circulation newspapers and magazines, although mass media (like books and manuscripts) were present centuries before the term became common. The term public media has a similar meaning: it is the sum of the public mass distributors of news and entertainment across media such as newspapers, television, radio, broadcasting, which may require union membership in some large markets such as Newspaper Guild, AFTRA, & text publishers. The concept of mass media is complicated in some internet media as now individuals have a means of potential exposure on a scale comparable to what was previously restricted to select group of mass media producers.
Wiki

I did note earlier more than 90% of these items stating in my opinion that TV is the worse one. My reason... Would be the assumtion that a larger number of ppl have TV then do any other input. Internet close second however i didnt study maybe greater with the introduction of mobile internet.

Cell phones are constantly pushed by mass media, And constantly feed you more. that was just one example.
All I got from that was pure hell. Nothing but B-s and cop outs
I was referring to mass media specifically in the news setting; which is what I thought you were talking about. If you mean mass media in the broadest sense...then you still have to argue how it controls and brainwashes us. You've yet to do this. How do you expect me to argue against a claim there's no argument for?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #69 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd85 View Post
its not that i dont like the 'objectively described america', its just that you use generalizations to describe over 300 million people.
That's what a study basically is...

Quote:
and im not misunderstanding your post, you just not being very objective when you use words like 'worship'. you and i both know before i goto bed i pray to brad and angelina; that is right after i beat my metaphorical child silly, and drag homeless people out of hospitals.
Did you even read that post? He was specifically responding to someone (from Canada I will add) who was talking to celebrity worship so him using the word worship was completely fair. What's funny though is since he was responding to a Canadian living in Canada, his post would have been referring to Canada, not America. Either way he was specifically describing what the attitude towards celebrities is in Norway, his post had little to do with Canada (and nothing at all to do with America.)

Quote:
if norway was so oblivious to celebrity gossip, then how do you know that we care so much about ours, or about the subject at all? did you write your thesis on american behavior?
Because someone specifically stated there was a lot of celebrity worship over here (which there is. You'd be stupid to deny that,)

Quote:
i also find it hard to believe that norway doesnt follow celebrity gossip of any sort, in fact i imagine they sell british and us gossip magazines there...which is possibly worse.
When was your last trip to Norway? Which region did you visit? How long were you there?

Quote:
if you made comments about how america differs from norway then it would be one thing, but you dont.
Funny the comment you get all pissy about was specifically talking about the differences between Norway and Canada.

Quote:
you make condescending comments about how norway is better than america, under the guise of 'objectivity'.
Where has he? So far you're getting angry about him talking about a study of America (in a completely different thread)and him talking about the differences between Canada and Norway. You're the one who brought America into the discussion.

Quote:
when was your last trip to the states? which of the 50 did you visit? how long were you here?
Now you're just being silly. Americans are so egotistical.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #70 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Thanks sleepy jack.

jgd85, if you feel I'm badmouthing your country, I'm sorry you take it like that, it's never been my intention. As sleepy jack wrote, my response which obviously offended you was a reply to mr dave and I didn't write it based on an assumption that he's an american (though I thought he was after reading your last reply) .. I used the word worship because he did in his post and I intended to write in a comparative manner.

About the generalisations about 300 million people, well .. again, as sleepy jack wrote, that's what such a study is. There's a lot of those studies done in and published in America, possibly more than in any other nation. Because of that, if you do a search, they come up, simple as that. It doesn't mean US is the only country that has those trends. Not long ago, I tried to find a study on the mean age of wild rats and the first good thing I found was a study from a farm in Maryland. It's just the way it is.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.