Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the T.V. a brainwash device or are people just parnoid
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #91 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
wall of text
It's kind of funny that you just copied and pasted the whole thing without any real discretion to what it says. The bottom half - Sexploitation - has nothing to do with Brainwashing and Jeane Kilbourne argued that entire point in a much more intelligent manner in Killing Us Softly.

Anyway as for the real argument you need to look up the difference between effective frequency and brainwashing (and there is a difference.) Effective Frequency, which is what that article specifically refers to, is a marketing technique and there are key variables in it that basically eliminate the idea that it's "brainwashing everyone." For instance if I were to see a commercial for Levi Jeans thirty times but never actually encountered Levi Jeans then there's no chance I will buy them regardless of how many times I see that commercial. There's also the chance I can have negative associations with the product, etc. It isn't a hook, line and sinker technique.

That aside that research ignores the simple human ability to think critically. Just because I see a commercial over and over doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to see the product and buy it. Even if I associate it with the pleasant commercial, which is what effective advertising would do, I could have other fiscal responsibilities or it could simply not be in my favorite color. Arguing that effective frequency, a marketing technique and only a marketing technique, is the mass media brainwashing and controlling us...is just being hyperbolic and childish.