Music Banter - View Single Post - Most influential Individual in Music
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #61 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne View Post
^^^I pretty much agree that the most influential person or group preceded anyone that we even know. But, in terms of more contemporary influence, say last half of 20th century, and Western influence since this forum has a Western bias, I believe:
Velvet Underground had most early influence on rock.
Beatles had most early influence on pop.
Bessie Smith, Robert Johnson, and Muddy Waters had most early influence on blues; Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong had most influence on jazz vocalists; and Robert Johson had most early influence on blues rock.
Thelonius Monk and John Coltrane had most early influence on instrumental jazz and Miles Davis had most influence on later jazz and jazz fusion.
Kraftwerk had most early influence on techno/house.
Janis Joplin had most early influence on all female rock artists (probably later female pop, too).
Youssou N'Dour had most early influence on world music and introducing non-Western sound to Western music.
Hank Williams had most influence on country.
I totally see where you are coming from with these names and I agree they are all highly influential artists (within' their respective genres) for future generations to come. I just can't help to think of the artists that influenced the artists you mentioned... and then who influenced them, and so on. To ask for THE MOST influential person EVER is pretty damn vague. Also, I know you agree with me on this... just restating my previous point, not really directing it at you.