Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #61 (permalink)
Bringer of Carrots
 
Whatsitoosit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne View Post
^^^I pretty much agree that the most influential person or group preceded anyone that we even know. But, in terms of more contemporary influence, say last half of 20th century, and Western influence since this forum has a Western bias, I believe:
Velvet Underground had most early influence on rock.
Beatles had most early influence on pop.
Bessie Smith, Robert Johnson, and Muddy Waters had most early influence on blues; Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong had most influence on jazz vocalists; and Robert Johson had most early influence on blues rock.
Thelonius Monk and John Coltrane had most early influence on instrumental jazz and Miles Davis had most influence on later jazz and jazz fusion.
Kraftwerk had most early influence on techno/house.
Janis Joplin had most early influence on all female rock artists (probably later female pop, too).
Youssou N'Dour had most early influence on world music and introducing non-Western sound to Western music.
Hank Williams had most influence on country.
I totally see where you are coming from with these names and I agree they are all highly influential artists (within' their respective genres) for future generations to come. I just can't help to think of the artists that influenced the artists you mentioned... and then who influenced them, and so on. To ask for THE MOST influential person EVER is pretty damn vague. Also, I know you agree with me on this... just restating my previous point, not really directing it at you.
__________________
"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile,
but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face."
Whatsitoosit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #62 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
johne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsitoosit View Post
I totally see where you are coming from with these names and I agree they are all highly influential artists (within' their respective genres) for future generations to come. I just can't help to think of the artists that influenced the artists you mentioned... and then who influenced them, and so on. To ask for THE MOST influential person EVER is pretty damn vague. Also, I know you agree with me on this... just restating my previous point, not really directing it at you.
Yep, I'm with you there. In one of my more cynical moments today, I thought that the most influential people might be the producers/promoters who "discovered" and made us all aware of the influential musicians (was listening to a radio show about Billy Holiday and how she wouldn't have succeeded without the discovery of the microphone and good promoters). Before anyone gets their hackles up, I understand the argument against this claim--it was a cynical moment. But, I pretty much agree that to try to name the most infuential musician, even in a single genre, is probably futile.
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/jenyc
johne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #63 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
i think lou reed is pretty influential.
I love Lou Reed, brings back memories of first year at Uni.

Most influential in my opinion is James Brown. He took the soul and gospel music of the day and transformed it, influencing many artists in many different genres to this day.

It's interesting how gospel music was so inspiring considering it's religious context. I actually quite enjoy it though.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #64 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
It's interesting how gospel music was so inspiring considering it's religious context. I actually quite enjoy it though.
Old school gospel isn't bad but modern gospel is, if you'll pardon the pun, godawful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #65 (permalink)
daddy don't
 
Molecules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the Wastes
Posts: 2,576
Default

Ug the Cro-Magnon was very influential in being the first to grunt and clap his hands in time... but then again there was Og who prefigured cave-beat with his innovative jawbone/rock arrangements?
Music has moved on since of course, but I think everyone from Haydn to Jelly Roll Morton to McCartney would doff their cap to Ug.

__________________

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #66 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Metal Thrashing Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 50
Default

i think were rap/hiphop is concerned i think emenem is worth a shoutout, i remember when i was in school every little bastard tried to be just like him
__________________

and scream for your cream!
Metal Thrashing Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #67 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Kram3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 12
Default

For me, in terms of modern music, it comes down to three people.

Robert Johnson: His guitar playing I feel, was the first of it's kind and really turned the guitar into a mean instrument.

Buddy Holly: One of the first real performers to write their own songs. Not only that, he discovered (or was the first the use publicly, I feel, to say the least) just a simple method of writing music that produced so many of his wonderful catchy songs. I really wish I could have seen where he would have gone in time.

Bob Dylan: Even though countless blues artists and folk singers before him did it, he was the first to really capture a generation with songs about real life. I also feel because of how large his audience was/is and how far his music reached he was one of the first to be recognised as making music an art form. I feel that, from seeing a lot of those early variety shows, a lot of people thought music was a somewhat of a novelty, not in the sense of a fad, just something you grow out of once you're an adult. I feel that Bob Dylan was somewhat responsible for changing that perception a lot. Again, I really want to stress I'm not saying he's the first, but at least one of, if not the face of, many to do so. In doing what he did, he influenced countless singer-songerwriter including The Beatles.
Kram3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #68 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
barbarella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 154
Default

Without A Doubt For Me It's Got To Be Berry Gordy, Founder Of Tamla Motown.
I Think That Tamla Changed Not Only The Face Of The Recording World, By Introducing Some Of The Greatest Singers And Songwriters That Have Ever Lived: Through Berry Gordy The Culture Of Society Began To Change, Albeit Slowly, To One Of More Tolerance Amongst Different Races Of People;Changes That Are Still Continuing Today.
__________________

Below Zero.
barbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #69 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lorain,ohio
Posts: 908
Default

Jimi Hendrix
coryallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #70 (permalink)
This Space for Rent
 
Brad Stengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram3r View Post
For me, in terms of modern music, it comes down to three people.

Robert Johnson: His guitar playing I feel, was the first of it's kind and really turned the guitar into a mean instrument.

Buddy Holly: One of the first real performers to write their own songs. Not only that, he discovered (or was the first the use publicly, I feel, to say the least) just a simple method of writing music that produced so many of his wonderful catchy songs. I really wish I could have seen where he would have gone in time.

Bob Dylan: Even though countless blues artists and folk singers before him did it, he was the first to really capture a generation with songs about real life. I also feel because of how large his audience was/is and how far his music reached he was one of the first to be recognised as making music an art form. I feel that, from seeing a lot of those early variety shows, a lot of people thought music was a somewhat of a novelty, not in the sense of a fad, just something you grow out of once you're an adult. I feel that Bob Dylan was somewhat responsible for changing that perception a lot. Again, I really want to stress I'm not saying he's the first, but at least one of, if not the face of, many to do so. In doing what he did, he influenced countless singer-songerwriter including The Beatles.


Fuck, I forgot about Dylan, definately as influential as Holly.
__________________
These is the musics I own:
http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/BradStengel/oo
Brad Stengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.