Music Banter - View Single Post - Most influential Individual in Music
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #62 (permalink)
johne
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsitoosit View Post
I totally see where you are coming from with these names and I agree they are all highly influential artists (within' their respective genres) for future generations to come. I just can't help to think of the artists that influenced the artists you mentioned... and then who influenced them, and so on. To ask for THE MOST influential person EVER is pretty damn vague. Also, I know you agree with me on this... just restating my previous point, not really directing it at you.
Yep, I'm with you there. In one of my more cynical moments today, I thought that the most influential people might be the producers/promoters who "discovered" and made us all aware of the influential musicians (was listening to a radio show about Billy Holiday and how she wouldn't have succeeded without the discovery of the microphone and good promoters). Before anyone gets their hackles up, I understand the argument against this claim--it was a cynical moment. But, I pretty much agree that to try to name the most infuential musician, even in a single genre, is probably futile.