Music Banter - View Single Post - Dub Music Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #43 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
i love that classic old school stuf; king tubby, coxsone dodd, lee perry & the upsetters, derrick harriot, anything off that jonny greenwood comp, but most importantly, scientis! he really took it to the next level in the early 80's.
King Tubby has stayed relevant and on top of the trends in dub since the Sixties. Scientist was one of Tubby's students and he developed his own unique psychedelic sound with explosions and blasts of electronic feedback.

I prefer Tubby's organic style to Scientist's busy electronic sound. Scientist's high tech trickery can overwhelm the material he's mixing. A lot folks swear by Scientist's animated agressive electronic mixes. I've never been able listen to one Scientist's albums is a single sitting because he begins to sound like "too much of a good thing" by the time you've finished listening to the 3 or 4 album cut. I feel the same way after I wolf down a pint of Haagen Daz