Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #152 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Who decides what's child abuse and what's physical discipline? I'm going to repost what I said earlier since all the proponents of spanking children seem to be ignoring the psychological aspects of this argument and are just saying "well I turned out okay!"

Quote:
I'm curious to know why "light spanking" is seeming like the preferred method to deal with an uppity child. Taking the above example for instance (seeing as it's one we've all seen) don't you think the spoiled child's behavior isn't something spontaneous but rooted in a rather taught attitude (e.g. there was no real strict argument of any sort against that behavior in the household prior to that therefore the child think it's acceptable behavior?) Basically what I'm getting at here is no child is naturally spoiled and selfish, that is something they learn in the household so the best way to deal with it is to not tolerate that sort of behavior early on and raise them with a sense of humility and respect; which isn't something you can teach with spanking.
I'd also like to know which actions deserve this punishment. Yukon for instance said he spanks his children every time they tell a lie which doesn't seem to be the best way to deal with the problem. For one if your kid is a pathological liar then that's a mental problem and constantly abusing them isn't going to help. If your kid just lies innocently (e.g. I didn't eat the last cookie!) is it really so serious that it can't be talked out? It seems to me the logical route would be to explain to them why they did it, why it was obvious and then tell them they're not going to be in trouble for an accident but lying is something they will be in trouble for.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote