Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #235 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
That's not logical fallacy, it's your opinion. And it's also not true, just because they hold to their morals for religious beliefs doesn't mean they don't do good for the sake of doing good. It's not one or the other, you can have both.
Logically fallacy was probably a poor choice of words but my point still remains. You are moral based on your faith and believe in Jesus; it’s embedded in Christianity that you must lead a moral life or you will be banished to hell where you will be tortured for all eternity. That is ultimately the reason religious people are moral. When you do good just for the sake of doing good that isn’t the religion driving you to do it; if the religion is driving you to do it then guess what? It’s your fear of the afterlife or your lust for eternal pleasure that drive the moral action which I would consider less moral than the person who does good merely for the sake of it.

Quote:
Most people (in my experience) find Christianity because they are looking for a movement that preaches respecting each other and following the word of God by being a model citizen. Other than that and the benefits you reap in the afterlife (where you'd have to be good in life anyways), there's no motivation for being a Christian. You don't get paid to be one. So people who aren't the kind of people who would do the right thing in a scenario that would benefit them more to do the wrong thing aren't likely to be Christians.
You’re hardly answering my question and in doing so you’re avoiding the point I’m making (and the point you made about atheists.) What drives the many Catholic priests who molest little boys to molest; lust or god? If it’s the former then that directly contradicts your belief that atheism fuels immorality and shows a double standard in your own judgment which undermines all your points. If, however, you do believe it is god/religion that drives them to molest then why follow such a god? Pick your option; lust or god or the third option could be that atheists and theists are actually biologically different and once the holy spirit enters an atheist he suddenly becomes devoid of all sexual desire and it’s only once he stops believing he comes back. I’m just throwing out different options here. Explain to me why claiming to know the unknowable makes you morally superior to anyone else.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote