Music Banter - View Single Post - Underrated films
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
This is interesting because it will mete out all the personal favourites and hopefully some crap I can laugh at. Like Requiem For A Dream... I can see how it's reputation got to snowballing in the first place and it wasn't CRAP, but it just seemed crass and preachy compared to say.. Trainspotting

A Cock And Bull Story (2005)

Not critically underrated at all but definitely one of the few great British films of recent times and they are always worth a note these days, being that they're so thin on the ground. Very clever, complex and frequently hilarious comedy. Yes, Steve Coogan actually made a good film that lived up to his television work, and it was this.
I felt the same way. I remember I read Trainspotting and Requiem For A Dream in the same summer when I was 16 and while I enjoyed Requiem for a Dream, I thought Trainspotting did a better job at saying "drugs r bad!1!!!11". I felt that Requiem got far too preacy at times and lacked the black humour that Trainspotting was oozing out of every pore. I can't say that I've really enjoyed anything else written by Selby Jr. especially Last Exit To Brooklyn which just reading was like pulling ****ing teeth.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote