Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Grunge Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #492 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's not surprising for me to encounter people in their 30s who like grunge, what I think is so strange is the teenage kids who crop up here on a regular basis and are fanatical grunge fans. That's really what I was getting at with the post you're quoting.
same here. that's why i made the comment about assumptions earlier in the thread. i see something about the prominent music style of my youth i'm going to check it out, and what do i get?

a manifesto about how we are in regards to a bunch of marketing terms.

if grunge wasn't about fashion why is it the first thing listed? if one 'truly' doesn't care about something why do they spend any amount of effort discussing it?

i don't remember anyone around me dressing the parts. then again people had been wearing flannel for decades prior. cheeseballs in big cities have always played dress up.

the use of the 'grunge' term went away as quickly as it was established. 'alternative' and 'alt-rock' soon became the standard terms to define the style.

as for the rebellious attitude. WHAT? when? if anything the grunge generation was one of the most apathetic and depressed ones out there.

if you want to establish your own identity by hiding behind my generation's cultural costume then that's your prerogative. we will just have to agree to disagree on what grunge is / was. the fact that you bring up that parenting book shows that you're still coming to grips with your own identity. you are living up to the title after all, you're the one telling us how it is, how we are, just like a boss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote