Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #289 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Oh man, you guys are dropping some philosophical rhetoric that's making my head spin!

God to me is a three letter word that I use as a matter of semantic convenience more than anything else. I talk about god a lot in my daily life and when I do I'm referring to the influences and experiences in my life that transcend the realm of egoic consciousness. People (at least non-atheists/agnostics) tend to relate to and understand the term "god" more readily than "The Quantum Field of Infinite Potential" or "The Void" or "The Superego". By strict definition I am an atheist, because I do not believe in an autonomous anthropomorphic entity with a will that is completely independent of our own intentions, conscious or unconscious.
However despite this belief, or lack thereof, I choose to interact with god (again semantics) as if "he" did exist. Because I believe that relating to "god" in this way adds dimension and fullness to my life. The pursuit of a relationship with the aspect of consciousness that is indeed transcendent can be a very healthy thing if it is perceived and practiced with the right attitude and understanding, but I will be the first to agree that organized religion is counter-intuitive and, more often than not, undermines the process in most individuals.
The point being is that I don't think its relevant whether or not God exists. In the case of trying to prove or disprove God's existence I agree with Cardboard Adolescents and Lao Tzu and say "The tao that can be spoken is not the tao" and leave any further pursuit to those who feel it important to contemplate further.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote