Music Banter - View Single Post - Two old bastards reassess the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Thanks for writing that kick ass review Mr Dave. I was actually a little surprised that you were so enthusiastic about the album because I was under the impression that you felt the same way about it that I do. Nevertheless it was great to read and works as a great counterbalance to mine.

One particular comment of yours stood out for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
i noticed early on that a lot of frusciante's leads on this disc end the same way - with a very fast strum over the high strings while sliding up the neck. it's not that it's bad but it makes it apparent that the solos are tacked on, it's like ....and we're done. most of those are generic classic rock style leads too.
I think you've just hit upon my number one complaint about Blood Sugar Sex Magik: Frusciante. If you read up about the recording sessions for Mother's Milk, you hear a lot about how unhappy Frusciante is with the guitar style on that album because the producer kept forcing him to play heavier. You know what? The producer was right. He played so much better on a tighter leash and the second he had more freedom he started in with this cheeseball classic rock stuff that seems to be a driving force behind much of BSSM. It's weird, I remember reading an interview with Flea when One Hot Minute came out about how Dave Navarro had such a big influence on their sound on that album because he brought in a bunch of classic rock influence that until then they had thought of as super-cheesy, but really it seems like it was Frusciante who did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
'righteous & the wicked' - filler? really? i'm not following. it's like the only other track on the disc that tries to touch grey matter over pink flesh besides 'power of equality'. again another non-jam tune where the instrumental bit doesn't sound tacked on. i always thought it was badass when i was young but i just realized it's like a slightly altered version of the instrumental break from the last tune. only this one is hammer-ons instead of slides.
Since a couple people seemed so shocked that I'd describe "The Righteous and the Wicked" as filler I figure I'll address your comments about it specifically. So this listen was the first time you noticed its similarity to "Mellowship Slinky in B Major"? That's kind of surprising to me because it was the first thing that jumped out at me when I listened to it. And I have to disagree with your description of it as a non-jam tune. I have no idea what the writing process what like for the song but it sounds very much like a half-assed jam to me. That, in a nutshell, is what I don't like about it. Can someone explain to me what exactly it is that they like about this song? Because when I listen to it I hear a weak performance from everyone, and I find Chad Smith's drumming especially bland.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote