Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Jackson
Thread: Michael Jackson
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #438 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Well going by that distorted logic, I guess Prince should stop making music because it will never be as good as his old material. I guess Stevie Wonder should stop making records because it will never be as good as his old classics. I guess James Brown should have stopped performing because he was well over 50. Thats a ignorant logic because these legends do what they do because they ENJOY it. Its YOUR choice how you rate them and the pedestal you sit them on but their going to continue to do their thing.
Yes, they should stop. Spend less time trying to reclaim old glory and more time cashing in on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Look I'm a big Jackson fan but I agree with whatsitoosit, there comes a time for every famous artist and band that once they fade away or are way past their prime, the fans don't want to hear their new songs anymore. If people go to a Jackson concert nowadays they don't want to hear some crappy new Timberlake-lite songs he wrote, they want Billie Jean and Beat It, Smooth Criminal and Bad, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and Off The Wall, the classics. That's the case for most old bands that are still together, weither it be Genesis or Van Halen, they can throw in some new songs but what people really want are the oldies.

There's nothing wrong if Jackson were to just accept that, there was a time when he ruled the pop industry, but that time has passed. Nowadays he'd do just fine being a human jukebox.
the last time I went to see Aerosmith (2004) they pretty much played their newest album with a few hits sprinkles in there. Needless to say it was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to and I would have preferred having my teeth cleaned with an ice pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Exactly some fans DO want to hear new music from Michael Jackson.

I never disagreed with that truth and thats OBVIOUS so why keep mentioning? Thats not going to stop him from making new material and why should he? His an artist that has been in the game for his entire life, so if he wants to continue to make music because that is something he enjoys than why stop him? Just because it wont be as successful as his older works does not mean he should throw in the towel for making new music.
And it also does not mean that his new material will be bad but if you dont want to by the C.D. because its not up to part with his older work then dont buy it.
It does not matter what the media or public thinks. Utimately his going to do what he wants to do.... and it should be that way.
here's the problem. In 1982 he was breaking new ground and on the cutting edge of newer sounds and styles. In 2002 he was trying to imitate current styles (which he had a hand in starting - oh the irony) and basically just got sucked in the void of every other artist on the radio that year. It's over... go out there and tour to the hits, moonwalk, grab your crotch, say oooooooh and hee hee 200 times and call it a day.