Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Pop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #431 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Well going by that distorted logic, I guess Prince should stop making music because it will never be as good as his old material. I guess Stevie Wonder should stop making records because it will never be as good as his old classics. I guess James Brown should have stopped performing because he was well over 50. Thats a ignorant logic because these legends do what they do because they ENJOY it. Its YOUR choice how you rate them and the pedestal you sit them on but their going to continue to do their thing.
Look I'm a big Jackson fan but I agree with whatsitoosit, there comes a time for every famous artist and band that once they fade away or are way past their prime, the fans don't want to hear their new songs anymore. If people go to a Jackson concert nowadays they don't want to hear some crappy new Timberlake-lite songs he wrote, they want Billie Jean and Beat It, Smooth Criminal and Bad, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and Off The Wall, the classics. That's the case for most old bands that are still together, weither it be Genesis or Van Halen, they can throw in some new songs but what people really want are the oldies.

There's nothing wrong if Jackson were to just accept that, there was a time when he ruled the pop industry, but that time has passed. Nowadays he'd do just fine being a human jukebox.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #432 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
There's nothing wrong if Jackson were to just accept that, there was a time when he ruled the pop industry, but that time has passed. Nowadays he'd do just fine being a human jukebox.
I don't know, he's pretty good at being a human train wreck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #433 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Well it's been so long since he last performed, so it's hard to say how his voice and dance moves have held up. It's a pipe dream for sure but I say, let the guy have another shot.

David Bowie being on enough coke to kill a herd of elephants didn't stop him from making awesome records like Low and Heroes, though of course he had help. And Jackson would need a LOT of it.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #434 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Look I'm a big Jackson fan but I agree with whatsitoosit, there comes a time for every famous artist and band that once they fade away or are way past their prime, the fans don't want to hear their new songs anymore.
Exactly some fans DO want to hear new music from Michael Jackson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
If people go to a Jackson concert nowadays they don't want to hear some crappy new Timberlake-lite songs he wrote, they want Billie Jean and Beat It, Smooth Criminal and Bad, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and Off The Wall, the classics. That's the case for most old bands that are still together, weither it be Genesis or Van Halen, they can throw in some new songs but what people really want are the oldies.

There's nothing wrong if Jackson were to just accept that, there was a time when he ruled the pop industry, but that time has passed. Nowadays he'd do just fine being a human jukebox
.
I never disagreed with that truth and thats OBVIOUS so why keep mentioning? Thats not going to stop him from making new material and why should he? His an artist that has been in the game for his entire life, so if he wants to continue to make music because that is something he enjoys than why stop him? Just because it wont be as successful as his older works does not mean he should throw in the towel for making new music.
And it also does not mean that his new material will be bad but if you dont want to by the C.D. because its not up to part with his older work then dont buy it.
It does not matter what the media or public thinks. Utimately his going to do what he wants to do.... and it should be that way.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #435 (permalink)
Untalented Drummer
 
scottsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,900
Default

I think its every die hard fan's dream to hear something new from their favorite artists / band... but that doesn't mean the general populace wants it... I for one would love to hear new material from a band like Genesis... it would thrill the daylights outta me...but I really don't know how the rest of the world would feel or even if they'd care...

Fandom is a somewhat blinkered thing...
__________________
"If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately" - Shaun Micallef.
scottsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #436 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15
Default

his music does have a certain awesomeness...it may just be from the times of life it reminds me of though. but i do enjoy it!
lalasingergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #437 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ChiliColdBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TO
Posts: 184
Default

You guys hear about his canceled Neverland auction?

Watch this.
ChiliColdBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #438 (permalink)
Bringer of Carrots
 
Whatsitoosit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Well going by that distorted logic, I guess Prince should stop making music because it will never be as good as his old material. I guess Stevie Wonder should stop making records because it will never be as good as his old classics. I guess James Brown should have stopped performing because he was well over 50. Thats a ignorant logic because these legends do what they do because they ENJOY it. Its YOUR choice how you rate them and the pedestal you sit them on but their going to continue to do their thing.
Yes, they should stop. Spend less time trying to reclaim old glory and more time cashing in on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Look I'm a big Jackson fan but I agree with whatsitoosit, there comes a time for every famous artist and band that once they fade away or are way past their prime, the fans don't want to hear their new songs anymore. If people go to a Jackson concert nowadays they don't want to hear some crappy new Timberlake-lite songs he wrote, they want Billie Jean and Beat It, Smooth Criminal and Bad, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and Off The Wall, the classics. That's the case for most old bands that are still together, weither it be Genesis or Van Halen, they can throw in some new songs but what people really want are the oldies.

There's nothing wrong if Jackson were to just accept that, there was a time when he ruled the pop industry, but that time has passed. Nowadays he'd do just fine being a human jukebox.
the last time I went to see Aerosmith (2004) they pretty much played their newest album with a few hits sprinkles in there. Needless to say it was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to and I would have preferred having my teeth cleaned with an ice pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Exactly some fans DO want to hear new music from Michael Jackson.



I never disagreed with that truth and thats OBVIOUS so why keep mentioning? Thats not going to stop him from making new material and why should he? His an artist that has been in the game for his entire life, so if he wants to continue to make music because that is something he enjoys than why stop him? Just because it wont be as successful as his older works does not mean he should throw in the towel for making new music.
And it also does not mean that his new material will be bad but if you dont want to by the C.D. because its not up to part with his older work then dont buy it.
It does not matter what the media or public thinks. Utimately his going to do what he wants to do.... and it should be that way.
here's the problem. In 1982 he was breaking new ground and on the cutting edge of newer sounds and styles. In 2002 he was trying to imitate current styles (which he had a hand in starting - oh the irony) and basically just got sucked in the void of every other artist on the radio that year. It's over... go out there and tour to the hits, moonwalk, grab your crotch, say oooooooh and hee hee 200 times and call it a day.
__________________
"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile,
but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face."
Whatsitoosit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #439 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsitoosit View Post
Yes, they should stop. Spend less time trying to reclaim old glory and more time cashing in on it.
Trust me Michael Jackson cashes in on his music as well as other artists music as well. Once again his not reclaiming anything, its a FAIRWELL TOUR kinda self explainatory.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsitoosit View Post
here's the problem. In 1982 he was breaking new ground and on the cutting edge of newer sounds and styles. In 2002 he was trying to imitate current styles (which he had a hand in starting - oh the irony)
You keep repeating yourself and I never disagreed with this part once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsitoosit View Post
and basically just got sucked in the void of every other artist on the radio that year. It's over... go out there and tour to the hits, moonwalk, grab your crotch, say oooooooh and hee hee 200 times and call it a day.
Whats your point??

Thats basically all his doing.

Its a FAIRWELL Tour. His not trying to recapture anything and its not like he has to anyway because he is a legend. The tour will more than likely be his last if he doesnt decide to tour America again, so how is that glorifying anything? Its strictly for the fans.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #440 (permalink)
Bringer of Carrots
 
Whatsitoosit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 648
Default

Farewell tour my hiney... as long as he has a pulse and a nose he will keep making a "come back". Anyway, we're going in circles... you are a die hard fan of the pop king and I'm not. Now beat it!!! Just leave me alone!!!!! ooooooooooooh, who's bad?
__________________
"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile,
but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face."
Whatsitoosit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.