Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #2001 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't really see any irony in someone having different tastes from you. You think Elliot Smith is the greatest thing since sliced bread. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion but keep in mind that your opinion is not some kind of objective fact, and hurling insults at people for not sharing it is really silly.
There is a certain amount of objectivity when it comes to whether or not a band is overrated seeing as it's something that can be measured. Elliott Smith isn't a critically overpraised artist, all his albums with the exception of Either/Or tend to receive moderate reviews. Figure 8 and Roman Candle are regularly panned in fact. So in that sense he's far from overrated.

As far as discussion here goes, again he isn't very discussed here anymore. At a time it would have been totally fair (like over a year ago) but now? It makes no sense to bring him up - especially when he's juxtaposed with Manic Street Preachers and the Arcade Fire who regularly receive rave reviews, sell out venues and everyone has heard of him. I completely stand by Jackhammer's comment being ignorant - and hypocritical considering he was one of the people who ran around hyping Bon Iver who were a pitchfork flavor of the month band and treated like some god amongst singer/songwriters after only one album.