Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #2005 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Most folk singers only use open chords and finger picking because there isn't much else. Vibrato generally doesn't sound good on an acoustic guitar, there's string skipping - which many including Nick Drake use and palm muting just sounds lame on an acoustic guitar. You really need to stop arguing that certain folk guitarists are bad because all they do is finger pick and strum open chords - there isn't much else to it. It isn't prog boo boo.
Drake being a bad guitarist is only my subjective opinion and there's no use trying to argue that. That's not what I'm arguing.

What I'm arguing is the idea that he is more technically skilled than Fripp, Gilmour and Latimer, which is the flat out most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Quote:
You've said several times there's no skill required in what Nick Drake does and you even said you could play any of his songs before but whenever you're asked to prove it you always back away (I don't expect a different result this time but for the sake of arguing) why not prove it? Play one of his songs (of Comus' choosing.) I don't understand how you can say punk rock is more demanding anyway - finger picking isn't nearly as easy as you make it out to be.
Well for one you're playing with other musicians. And playing at the speed and intensity of punk does demand the right amount of timing and chemestry from it's musicians.

I'm not saying finger picking is bad, that's not what I'm saying AT ALL, it can be one of the most difficult techniques when played at virtuoso level, and many of my favorite guitarists are finger pickers, but Drake's is the most basic of finger picking. Latimer flat out destroys him as a finger picker. There's legions upon legions of country and bluegrass players who display amazing finger picking chops, Drake is not in their league at all, and he sure as hell isn't in the league of prog guitarists.

Quote:
If you're looking at complexity/lushness (in a general sense, this is ignoring Bryter Layter) in terms of how full it sounds then you're entirely missing his points. Comus is saying it takes a lot of skill to record an album with just you and your guitar and make it sound the way Pink Moon does - which is versatile and yes even, gasp! complex. Drake has a great ear for melody and chord progressions and it shows.
This is the problem, you're taking his songwriting and producing skills into acount, I'm talking about Drake purely as a guitarist. Sure making records that sound exactly like him wouldn't be easy, but it's hard to imitate anybody 100%, everybody has a little bit of uniqueness, I'll give you that. But lets take this statement and run with it, can anybody play the Smells Like Teen Spirit riff? Can just anybody make an exact duplicate of the song as Nirvana recorded it? No.

Of course, I don't think Cobain is a more technically skilled guitarist than Robert Fripp either. And even you have to agree that that saying Drake makes more technically skilled and complex music than every prog guitarist ever is an extremely ignorant and ridiculous claim.

Quote:
You're putting words in his mouth now to make him look dumb. Don't do that; it's a bad habit. Comus never said he was more technically skilled than Fripp/Latimer that wasn't his argument at all. It had more to do with what I explained above and melody then the ability to shred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comus View Post
Drake far surpasses the skill of most progressive rock guitarists when it comes to creating melody alone. He's better than Fripp, Gilmour, Latimer, Creen and pretty much most other guitarists at the time.
You know Ethan, it wouldn't hurt to actually read the comments for once.

Now if he meant that as simply "Drake is more skilled at crafting melody than Fripp, Gilmour and Latimer", well, that's still hilariously wrong, but that goes straight down to subjective opinion and thus isn't really worth arguing about.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.