Music Banter - View Single Post - Strength / Weakness
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #51 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
King Crimson
Strengths: Incredibly innovative, having always been ahead of the curve musically over almost everyone else while retaining their signature heaviness. Robert Fripp is the best textural guitarist on the planet, and despite the many break-ups and lineup changes over the last 40 years have never sacrificed good songwriting for the sake of commercial success.

Weaknesses: The various lineup changes and break-ups, lack of stylistic consistency beyond one or two traits, some weak material in the late 80's, seeming inability to get someone above and beyond decent as a vocalist. (sorry Belew ^^)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I'm not crazy about Wettons vocals, but I like Belew and Lakes vocals a lot.
I have to say I much prefer Lake and Wetton over Belew. Belew is the reason I have a hard time getting into any of their work from 81-on. Discipline and The Power to Believe are the only two I've heard during that time, though, but both have some very cheesy vocal/lyrical stuff, IMO. So to me, vocals and general inconsistency throughout their career are KC's weaknesses. I agree with the strengths posted.