Music Banter - View Single Post - Reggae Intro's
Thread: Reggae Intro's
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I have always found the lovers rock of Gregory Isaacs a little too saccharine for me sometimes. I have a couple of albums by him but I have to really be in the mood for them. Nice list though and a couple of names I'm not so sure of.
Gregory does wide variety of music including sufferer's tales, protest songs, rasta consciousness music as well as lover's rock. He has the vocal chops of a jazz singer and in his prime was the most gifted singer of his generation in Jamaica. I've seen some videos of Gregory in recent performances at Sunsplash and other outdoor gigs in Jamaica and there has been a significant deterioration of his magnificent contratenor voice.

It's hard to find an album or even a collection by Gregory that doesn't have some amount of lovers rock on it. But his suffer's tales and rasta conciousness songs are amazing.

I recommend the following songs: Storm, Black Liberation Struggle, Dieting, GP, the Border, Universal Tribulation, Philestine, Help Us Get Over, Handcuff, Slave Market and Material Man to get a pretty good picture of rasta side of Gregory's music. Everyone of those songs are classics and readily available at any music download site.