Music Banter - View Single Post - Dream Theater--Greatest Metal Band of this Era
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #254 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post

I don't know if hatching out a melody that some people will just happen to like makes you talented. Because I could start the most crappy avant garde band you've ever seen, right now, and all I do is fart through a talk box for 50 minutes and I could gain a following. Pitchfork would give me rave reviews and call me the next Glenn Branca.
Although it seems to have escaped you what you mentioned here is what the beauty of this type of music is. Anybody can do it & use it to put across any message they like. I seem to remember you being equally dismissive of folk music for more or less the same reason.

Talent takes many forms, For you technical proficiency on an instrument takes up a big part of it. For me on the other hand it takes up a bare minimum. That's not to say I don't appreciate it, it means I appreciate it in the context of whats being played. Meaning that if technical proficiency on an instrument it's not needed in playing a song I don't see the point in criticising it for not having it.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote