Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #680 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavanherk View Post
Isn't it logical to seek self-preservation? Therefore, isn't it rational to choose a religion? To work toward some type of rewarding existence after life?

It's logical to run as fast as possible from a predator to live another day. How about living as well as possible to live another life, or an afterlife? Maybe the question isn't in the reasons...but the human nature to "survive." Could it be human nature to gravitate to a religion, given the awareness humans have of impending, inescapable death? Doesn't that become a reason to certain people who otherwise were not raised into a particular religion?

I'm not religious but I am not atheist. Just observing and learning...trying not to take any sides in this discussion. Now, back to the music banter...for now.
Let me put it this way. My goal in life is to be as happy as possible. There will be things I have to do in order to get there. One thing would be to find out what my destination is, happiness. What is happiness? I figure it out. So now I have to find how I am going to get there. This is a morality. So I get my morality. Now I must go to my destination, or live by my morality. I do so.

Where does a god fit in this picture? Where he would fit in would be in the area of the destination. Basically, believing in a god and such becomes part of the goal. All religions create that goal for you to follow. However, is it really your goal? Nope. It is the goal of the religion. Basically, your existence would then be wasted on living for a goal that has nothing to do with who you really are. You will never enjoy it.

Now let's look at it differently. Let's say believing in a god becomes part of your morality. In other words, let's say you believe in a god in order to achieve that happiness. This is what you are describing. Your argument is that one could believe in God because it is part of our nature. I disagree because I don't believe humans have any nature. Existence precedes essence. You say that we might believe to escape death, however I would like to ask how this would lead you to your goal of happiness. How is one happier thinking that they will live a day longer than they might have? One isn't happy until he is in that moment. We have no clue of what life after death is. How can you possibly enjoy something which you have no true conception of? You might believe it is better, but is there anything you have to do to get it? If yes, then I would question how this specific morality makes you happier.

Quote:
Have you read it since you stopped being a Christian?
Yes, I read it occasionally. I also try to read the Quran, but I have no clue how to understand it. I have to ask a Muslim friend to help me read it.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote