Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #671 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Yeah you did say you didn't find rape to be morally objectionable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #672 (permalink)
"Hermione-Lite"
 
Arya Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York.
Posts: 3,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
You attack something you clearly know nothing about. It seems like you are trying to sound smart by attacking something which is regularly attacked. Of course, these days one can bull**** there way around a true argument by just spouting out cliches.


What about Greek Mythology or Norse Mythology for that matter? They are just as much fairy tales. Albert Camus writes, "Myths are made for the imagination to breathe life into them." If you take the Bible as myth, you should be able to find some value by breathing your own life into it.


Neither. I was pointing out the fact that all he is doing is reciting the cliches to make himself look like a smart atheist.


You could have a reason such as your family choosing it and such. You can't have a real reason though. What I mean is that the choice's will would have never originated in you. Take for instance the idea that you choose a religion because it has a morality you agree with. Well, why didn't you just use that morality in the first place without believing in a god?

The reasons are illogical and therefore irrational.
You have read the bible, correct?

And do you consider yourself of a specific religion?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
I'm down with Jesus, in that case.


MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #673 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

I read the fable of the boy who cried wolf, which teaches us not to lie.

I still lie.

Just because I've read it, doesn't mean I'm gonna live by it..
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #674 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
I said that the bible similar to a fable..

A fable is something in which, there is a story, but underneith that story, is a deeper meaning.. and morals.

Just like the bible.

The boy who cried wolf teaches you not to lie, the bible teachers you to behave or off to hell you go.
Yes, and each story in the Bible has a deeper meaning. What I have a problem with is that you read all sorts of stories with deeper meanings under them, but I don't see you throwing a fit about them. I doubt you do. What is the last fiction story you read?

As far as Bible teachers telling you that, I am pretty sure the religious text is where you will find the religion. The people demonstrate it and it becomes tainted. I don't think that being poor is awesome simply because there are a couple of starving artists creating good art.

Quote:
You have read the bible, correct?

And do you consider yourself of a specific religion?
I would consider myself a weak atheist. I am a weak atheist in that if I ever found a reason to not be one I would surrender my beliefs. However, atheism is the most rational option. Of course, the term comes no where close to describing my beliefs about things.

I have read the Bible probably numerous times. I was a Christian at one time, one who read the Bible.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #675 (permalink)
"Hermione-Lite"
 
Arya Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York.
Posts: 3,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
I would consider myself a weak atheist. I am a weak atheist in that if I ever found a reason to not be one I would surrender my beliefs. However, atheism is the most rational option. Of course, the term comes no where close to describing my beliefs about things.

I have read the Bible probably numerous times. I was a Christian at one time, one who read the Bible.
Have you read it since you stopped being a Christian?

I know what you mean.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
I'm down with Jesus, in that case.


MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #676 (permalink)
barefoot troubadour
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Well, why didn't you just use that morality in the first place without believing in a god?

The reasons are illogical and therefore irrational.
Isn't it logical to seek self-preservation? Therefore, isn't it rational to choose a religion? To work toward some type of rewarding existence after life?

It's logical to run as fast as possible from a predator to live another day. How about living as well as possible to live another life, or an afterlife? Maybe the question isn't in the reasons...but the human nature to "survive." Could it be human nature to gravitate to a religion, given the awareness humans have of impending, inescapable death? Doesn't that become a reason to certain people who otherwise were not raised into a particular religion?

I'm not religious but I am not atheist. Just observing and learning...trying not to take any sides in this discussion. Now, back to the music banter...for now.
cavanherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #677 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Yes, and each story in the Bible has a deeper meaning. What I have a problem with is that you read all sorts of stories with deeper meanings under them, but I don't see you throwing a fit about them. I doubt you do. What is the last fiction story you read?

As far as Bible teachers telling you that, I am pretty sure the religious text is where you will find the religion. The people demonstrate it and it becomes tainted. I don't think that being poor is awesome simply because there are a couple of starving artists creating good art.
Who Moved My Cheese.

You have a problem with how I've read all sorts of stories with deeper meanings under them, but I'm not throwing a fit about them.

Since when was I throwing a fit about the bible, I'm just saying they are over-dressed fables.
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #678 (permalink)
"Hermione-Lite"
 
Arya Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York.
Posts: 3,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Who Moved My Cheese.

You have a problem with how I've read all sorts of stories with deeper meanings under them, but I'm not throwing a fit about them.

Since when was I throwing a fit about the bible, I'm just saying they are over-dressed fables.
Then throw a fit about Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Bears can't talk.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
I'm down with Jesus, in that case.


MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #679 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
Then throw a fit about Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Bears can't talk.
Again, I said it was a book of fables.

Hardly throwing a fit is it?

/facepalm
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #680 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavanherk View Post
Isn't it logical to seek self-preservation? Therefore, isn't it rational to choose a religion? To work toward some type of rewarding existence after life?

It's logical to run as fast as possible from a predator to live another day. How about living as well as possible to live another life, or an afterlife? Maybe the question isn't in the reasons...but the human nature to "survive." Could it be human nature to gravitate to a religion, given the awareness humans have of impending, inescapable death? Doesn't that become a reason to certain people who otherwise were not raised into a particular religion?

I'm not religious but I am not atheist. Just observing and learning...trying not to take any sides in this discussion. Now, back to the music banter...for now.
Let me put it this way. My goal in life is to be as happy as possible. There will be things I have to do in order to get there. One thing would be to find out what my destination is, happiness. What is happiness? I figure it out. So now I have to find how I am going to get there. This is a morality. So I get my morality. Now I must go to my destination, or live by my morality. I do so.

Where does a god fit in this picture? Where he would fit in would be in the area of the destination. Basically, believing in a god and such becomes part of the goal. All religions create that goal for you to follow. However, is it really your goal? Nope. It is the goal of the religion. Basically, your existence would then be wasted on living for a goal that has nothing to do with who you really are. You will never enjoy it.

Now let's look at it differently. Let's say believing in a god becomes part of your morality. In other words, let's say you believe in a god in order to achieve that happiness. This is what you are describing. Your argument is that one could believe in God because it is part of our nature. I disagree because I don't believe humans have any nature. Existence precedes essence. You say that we might believe to escape death, however I would like to ask how this would lead you to your goal of happiness. How is one happier thinking that they will live a day longer than they might have? One isn't happy until he is in that moment. We have no clue of what life after death is. How can you possibly enjoy something which you have no true conception of? You might believe it is better, but is there anything you have to do to get it? If yes, then I would question how this specific morality makes you happier.

Quote:
Have you read it since you stopped being a Christian?
Yes, I read it occasionally. I also try to read the Quran, but I have no clue how to understand it. I have to ask a Muslim friend to help me read it.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.