Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Songs from the Golden Age of Reggae
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Ganja Smuggling - Eek-A-Mouse The charismatic Eek-A-Mouse has a completely unique singing and deejay voice. A lot of his singing sounds sounds influenced by Middle Eastern musical modalities of singing. Ganja Smuggling was released in 1982 and was produced by Henry Lawes and mixed by King Tubby and Prince Jammy at King Tubby's Firehouse. The Roots Radics lay down the riddim track and it's Eek's own epic saga of working as herbs smuggler.

Government Land Horace Andy Government Land is Horace Andy's musical demand for land reform in Jamaica. It was a big hit for him in 1977. It was produced at Harry J.'s has an all-star studio group consisting of Jah Malla, Horsemouth Wallace, Leroy Sibbles, Michael Taylor, Andy Bassford, Privy Dread, Augustus Pablo, Bobby Kalphat, Bernard Touter Harvey, Tommy McCook, Don D. Junior, Charles Bashford, Dirty Harry, Scully Sims, Horace Hinds, and Sylvan Morris.

Horace has acheived international noteriety as one of the vocalists for the crossover trip hop and dub group, Massive Attack. Horace sings lead such Massive Attacks songs as Spying Glass, Man Next Door, and One Love.

A Song- Pablo Moses A Song was recorded in Jamaica using the island's finest session players and then remixed in London in 1980. It comes from an album with the same title and it established a cult following for Pablo Moses in Europe, South American, Canada and the USA. He backed off the reggae scene for several years but he's begun to tour again in Europe, Africa and South America where he draws large crowds. Pablo maintains a frenquently updated page at My Space with great jukebox of his tunes.

This is not the original version of A Song but a "live-studio" version recorded a few years ago. I've never seen the album A Song either in compact disc or digital music file form, probably because the original master tapes are lost or destroyed. If you ever come across it let me know and I will pay you a hefty finder's fee for the entire album. My vinyl copy got worn out about 20 years ago.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 06-21-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote