Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Taught??
Thread: Self Taught??
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #62 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby View Post
I will have to disagree with you, strongly at that.

Tabs:

1. Spoil you.

2. Usually give you the wrong information unless you've got an official tab book for a given record.

The best way to go, for both amateur/self-taught musicians AND professional musicians is transcribing (by ear that is). It trains you on so many levels. Together with transcribing you'll need some theory to help you figure out stuff quickly. Knowing the major and minor-pentatonic scales, knowing that most songs nowadays are played in the keys of A, E, Eb and D, and knowing the basic major/minor chord shapes is enough for you to be able to transcribe most modern songs and understand how most songs work in general.

PS. Official tabs are a good way to check how close your transcribing is to the original material, so yes, in that way they are very helpful.
i have to assume you've never read a guitar magazine.

1 - tabs 'spoil' a musician about as much as a teacher who just shows them how to play a song without explaining the theory behind it.

2 - see my first comment. you really think guitar world would be asking for the better part of $10 per issue so it could publish tabs it lifted off ultimate-guitar.com? you think it would still publish a monthly print magazine if it ran incorrect tabs?

how do you propose for someone who has no formal training to transcribe by ear? how do you learn scales and chord shapes without taking a lesson or learning them from a magazine / online article first? how are tabs (the magazine version) not a worthwhile method of learning these basic elements?

like i've said a few times already in this thread. not everyone wants to understand the fundamentals of the instrument, some people just want to play along and tabs are more than effective at getting you started to that point. if you want more than that, then yeah you'll obviously need to start learning some theory, how one chooses to do that is up to the individual. even if you chose to ignore the theory that does NOT mean you have not taught yourself how to play the instrument.

i think you're definition of self-taught runs counter to how most people on here consider it. self-taught = learning to play without a teacher. the idea that being self-taught means you transcribed songs by ear is just weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote