Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Taught??
Thread: Self Taught??
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
Luby
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i have to assume you've never read a guitar magazine.

1 - tabs 'spoil' a musician about as much as a teacher who just shows them how to play a song without explaining the theory behind it.

2 - see my first comment. you really think guitar world would be asking for the better part of $10 per issue so it could publish tabs it lifted off ultimate-guitar.com? you think it would still publish a monthly print magazine if it ran incorrect tabs?

how do you propose for someone who has no formal training to transcribe by ear? how do you learn scales and chord shapes without taking a lesson or learning them from a magazine / online article first? how are tabs (the magazine version) not a worthwhile method of learning these basic elements?

like i've said a few times already in this thread. not everyone wants to understand the fundamentals of the instrument, some people just want to play along and tabs are more than effective at getting you started to that point. if you want more than that, then yeah you'll obviously need to start learning some theory, how one chooses to do that is up to the individual. even if you chose to ignore the theory that does NOT mean you have not taught yourself how to play the instrument.

i think you're definition of self-taught runs counter to how most people on here consider it. self-taught = learning to play without a teacher. the idea that being self-taught means you transcribed songs by ear is just weird.
first of all, i don't remember saying that you need a teacher, i said you need your ears. second, i don't care about the specifics of where you get your tabs. I already told you, I'm cool with someone using legit tabs, as long as they're not the first thing you grab. Even if you want to play music just for fun and nothing else, transcribing will help you get the song right much better than a tab will (tabs don't include timing/meter, they don't tell you how loud/quiet to play a note, etc. and those things are essential to playing a song properly). How is my definition counter to what most people consider here? I said exactly what you said, which is that self-taught = no teacher. When did I ever say you need a teacher? Transcribing is among the most essential elements of being a self-taught musician. Every successful/good self-taught musician transcribes music, a lot. Every good musician in general does so. Read up on transcribing, understand what it is and how important it is.

Yo do not need any training whatsoever to transcribe by ear. Like I said, a basic knowledge of theory helps, but if that is not necessary. You train yourself to transcribe.
Luby is offline   Reply With Quote