Music Banter - View Single Post - For the drummers
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Y View Post
Tuning the drums is a lot harder than tuning a nice neatly packaged portable instrument like the guitar lol. Welcome to drumming. I must say that I'm envious that you get to play at home lol. I like how you play several instruments, as a musician, you are very versatile and can find different ways to express yourself. Now that you have picked up the drums though, you'll find that you can't express yourself the same way with both instruments. Sometimes the drums will be the best form of expression, other times your guitar. Completely different feelings. As a drummer, I always wanted to know what it feels like playing a guitar. I must say, it is different.
Hi, Sam-Y,
Yes, the electric guitar is nice (and it actually is my favorite instrument, even more so than the violin which I've played for over 30 years). I often say that if I loved things, I would love the electric guitar and playing it, because I always wish I could play it much longer than I can. I agree it is fun to work on playing many different instruments. I think playing different instruments is perhaps like speaking different languages: for example, when I speak in German, I *feel* like a different person, somehow. I don't feel quite the same when I play electric guitar as when I play violin, or drums. I'm glad you've had a chance to find out what it is like to play the guitar as well as the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
When I think of melodic drumming I think less about notes and more about texture and feel. Its hard to explain, but there is that vibe that Vertical was talking about that you can hear in a good drummer. I think creative drumming is more having a sort of sense and feel, and less of something that can be explained.

A few drummers that have that feel and texture that I'm talking about:
Thanks, Kamakazi Kat, for the links to those excellent drumming clips. The Mastadon "Colony of Birchman" drumming has a lot of variety, and the drumming is so fast it sounds like fluttering. I like all the syncopation. Zach Hill's drumming was also super speedy (and the song quite quirky :-). I don't think I'll ever be able to play that fast, one issue being that I have carpal tunnel synrome and don't want it to flare up (I actually wear garden gloves when playing the drums if I am going to practice more than 10 minutes, to try to help absorb the shock!). The drum lesson was useful (practicing to music is a good idea). I especially enjoyed seeing how the player gets so into the drumming. It is a very revealing instrument...you can see the person's emotions, his interest and involvement, so clearly.

--Erica
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote