Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkloring View Post
hmm... well im a synth drummer, does that count? i use FPC and live* drum synths... when i reach 15 posts and i can actually posts links or videos or whatever ill post some of my totally epic drum *synth* solos =P
Synth drummer eh? That counts. After all, you are still trying to produce beats...maybe you'll have an upper hand when it comes to producing "melodies" with the synth drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
You can produce melodies with drumming. Drumming is not only about creating beats, its also about crafting unique sounding and textured sounds and rhythms. Of course "melodic" drumming is different from melodies produced from a guitar, but I believe there is much more to percussion then just "keeping the beat," even when you are the one that is the rhythmic backbone.

I understand what you mean though when you have a desire to create the sound more heard and recognized in a band, especially when the kind of music you guys most likely play is rock where the drums "keep the beat" attitude is very strong.

For a portable drumming alternative, you could beat box .
It is definitely possible to take drums to the level where you can play solo and produce melodies in a sense. The problem is, like you state, when you play in a band (especially with rock music), you won't have that freedom because you'll be labeled "fancy" and plus, it might not even work out. I'm starting to conclude that as a drummer in a band, you are limited as opposed to just a drummer. So you said it lol.

Beat box? If you're going to beat box, then you might as well put the beats on the drums .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Why are most songs in 4/4 time signature?

Because four is the highest number drummers can count to [pid dat dat - crash]
I hate you. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
Actually...according to me:
- The drums and the bass guitar are the very heart of the band.

DRUMS: They keep the rhythm of the song, the tempo of the song...the very beat of the song.

BASS: The bass is perhaps, the most important thing in a band. It keeps the melody full, fills the rhythm and deepens it...the bass guitar is a bridge between melody and rhythm.

I play a lead guitar and I'm a singer, but without those two instruments, you are going nowhere
I agree, when it comes to making songs as a whole, everybody plays an equal part. I'm glad a lead guitarists feels our pain lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Hi, Sam-Y,
You wrote about the limited power of drums to produce melodies. As a novice drummer I haven't had a lot of experience playing, but for the few songs I've played (during home recording) I've tuned the drums so that they make the notes that match certain parts of the song. For example, right now my high tom is D, my mid tom is B, and my floor tom is G. So, when I play with the melody I do feel very much part of it and I am helping to create it (beyond just the rhythm, which is of course important). I am going to try to adjust the tuning to match additional songs and see how that works. I wondered if you do this with your drumming, too?

I am envious that you get to play with a band at all! Since I'm doing home recording, my band usually consists of Me Me Me and occasionally one other person. The advantage of this is I get to play a lot of instruments, and so can compare how I feel about them (violin vs. electric guitar vs. drums vs. electric piano, for example). I do like the electric guitar because of the versality others mention, and the feeling of power combined with sensitivity, but in actuality when I play the drums (with earplugs in), it feels very cathartic and I can understand drums being your passion. I like the fact that you interact with the drums with your whole body (feet and arms).

I also agree with others that the drums are the backbone and they provide the basis of a lot of the drive in rock music: the sense of the heartbeat, which can be subtle or intense, but always is very much of the primal draw of beat-based music. The drums are cumbersome to move them around, I agree. Piccolo players have it a lot easier.
--Erica
Tuning the drums is a lot harder than tuning a nice neatly packaged portable instrument like the guitar lol. Welcome to drumming. I must say that I'm envious that you get to play at home lol. I like how you play several instruments, as a musician, you are very versatile and can find different ways to express yourself. Now that you have picked up the drums though, you'll find that you can't express yourself the same way with both instruments. Sometimes the drums will be the best form of expression, other times your guitar. Completely different feelings. As a drummer, I always wanted to know what it feels like playing a guitar. I must say, it is different.
Sam-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Kamikazi Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Hi, Sam-Y,
You wrote about the limited power of drums to produce melodies. As a novice drummer I haven't had a lot of experience playing, but for the few songs I've played (during home recording) I've tuned the drums so that they make the notes that match certain parts of the song. For example, right now my high tom is D, my mid tom is B, and my floor tom is G. So, when I play with the melody I do feel very much part of it and I am helping to create it (beyond just the rhythm, which is of course important). I am going to try to adjust the tuning to match additional songs and see how that works. I wondered if you do this with your drumming, too?
--Erica
Never tried that before. When I think of melodic drumming I think less about notes and more about texture and feel. Its hard to explain, but there is that vibe that Vertical was talking about that you can hear in a good drummer. I think creative drumming is more having a sort of sense and feel, and less of something that can be explained.

A few drummers that have that feel and texture that I'm talking about:

Listen to the song colony of Birchmen by Mastodon. I can't find the actual track on youtube, but there is a drum track only video (I'm assuming there are copyright issues with the full song). The drum part goes great with creating a heavy and almost earthy feel in the actual song: Mastodon - colony of Birchmen (Drums Only). The drums kind of mold into the guitar part and help create the feel of the song.

Hella - The Things People Do When They Think No Ones Looking. A very tame sample of Zach Hill's drumming. His drumming may be considered inaccessible and too crazy for some, but his drumming is very unique and abstract, especially in his other work with Hella without the vocals.

Mike Johnston - John Legend Play Along. Another example of drumming with great feel and sense. Maybe these all aren't examples of melodic drumming, but I'm just giving examples of a few that expand past the boring "time-keeping." Drumming does get much more interesting once you obtain the skill to be able to pull this kind of stuff off and develop that kind of sense.

Last edited by Kamikazi Kat; 06-22-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Y View Post
Tuning the drums is a lot harder than tuning a nice neatly packaged portable instrument like the guitar lol. Welcome to drumming. I must say that I'm envious that you get to play at home lol. I like how you play several instruments, as a musician, you are very versatile and can find different ways to express yourself. Now that you have picked up the drums though, you'll find that you can't express yourself the same way with both instruments. Sometimes the drums will be the best form of expression, other times your guitar. Completely different feelings. As a drummer, I always wanted to know what it feels like playing a guitar. I must say, it is different.
Hi, Sam-Y,
Yes, the electric guitar is nice (and it actually is my favorite instrument, even more so than the violin which I've played for over 30 years). I often say that if I loved things, I would love the electric guitar and playing it, because I always wish I could play it much longer than I can. I agree it is fun to work on playing many different instruments. I think playing different instruments is perhaps like speaking different languages: for example, when I speak in German, I *feel* like a different person, somehow. I don't feel quite the same when I play electric guitar as when I play violin, or drums. I'm glad you've had a chance to find out what it is like to play the guitar as well as the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
When I think of melodic drumming I think less about notes and more about texture and feel. Its hard to explain, but there is that vibe that Vertical was talking about that you can hear in a good drummer. I think creative drumming is more having a sort of sense and feel, and less of something that can be explained.

A few drummers that have that feel and texture that I'm talking about:
Thanks, Kamakazi Kat, for the links to those excellent drumming clips. The Mastadon "Colony of Birchman" drumming has a lot of variety, and the drumming is so fast it sounds like fluttering. I like all the syncopation. Zach Hill's drumming was also super speedy (and the song quite quirky :-). I don't think I'll ever be able to play that fast, one issue being that I have carpal tunnel synrome and don't want it to flare up (I actually wear garden gloves when playing the drums if I am going to practice more than 10 minutes, to try to help absorb the shock!). The drum lesson was useful (practicing to music is a good idea). I especially enjoyed seeing how the player gets so into the drumming. It is a very revealing instrument...you can see the person's emotions, his interest and involvement, so clearly.

--Erica
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Alright. So I have left the drums aside for now (since I don't have a kit) and have picked up the guitar. So far I have progressed decently but I don't find playing fun (I do like the idea of playing the guitar and being very good at it, but this is irrelevant). I just hope it becomes more fun as I learn more, so far I feel the more I learn, the more bored I become.It could just be personal taste but I just want to hear if any of you went through the same thing I'm going through. If not, maybe I should pack things up and leave it to you pros lol. I was hoping you could share your journey with us.
Sam-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Groupie
 
El_terribley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: outside your window
Posts: 21
Default

I had my first set when I was 4....Kermit the frog set. Yeah........
I been playing ever since, I tried the whole drop the stick pick up a pick B.S. Just couldnt get my mind on the strings, I would catch myself tapping the side of my guitar and moving my feet on imaginary pedals... I lasted a couple days. I just pick it up every so often to mess around....
I have no interest in the band thing, BUT if i was...I would set up my bass on the edge of the stage, might not sound great.I mean, drummers are the toughest anyway.
Drums are not the most portable instrument, I bring my fingers everywhere...I constantly tap and beat on everything i can.
I dont know where Im going with this....I guess what Im saying is **** everything else, play when you want, how you want, where you want..never neglect your pride and joy.

"Girl, I wanna buy you corn dogs...."
El_terribley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
SO IS YOUR FACE
 
Ricochet~kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the groove
Posts: 113
Default

ok ive decided that synth drums arent enough. does anyone know a good value for:
1 bass drum
1 snare
1 high hat
and maybe a ride symbol

i dont have alot fo money to spend on it, but i want some REAL real drums, not just a realistic drum synth
__________________
ROCK AND ROLL
Ricochet~kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_terribley View Post
I had my first set when I was 4....Kermit the frog set. Yeah........
I been playing ever since, I tried the whole drop the stick pick up a pick B.S. Just couldnt get my mind on the strings, I would catch myself tapping the side of my guitar and moving my feet on imaginary pedals... I lasted a couple days. I just pick it up every so often to mess around....
I have no interest in the band thing, BUT if i was...I would set up my bass on the edge of the stage, might not sound great.I mean, drummers are the toughest anyway.
Drums are not the most portable instrument, I bring my fingers everywhere...I constantly tap and beat on everything i can.
I dont know where Im going with this....I guess what Im saying is **** everything else, play when you want, how you want, where you want..never neglect your pride and joy.

"Girl, I wanna buy you corn dogs...."
That's interesting man since I find myself in the exact same position you were in. You got me thinking even harder now lol.
Sam-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #28 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkloring View Post
ok ive decided that synth drums arent enough. does anyone know a good value for:
1 bass drum
1 snare
1 high hat
and maybe a ride symbol

i dont have alot fo money to spend on it, but i want some REAL real drums, not just a realistic drum synth
I was waiting for this jkloring when you had first told me you play the synth drums lol. If you are tight with cash and just want a simple/decent kit, I would suggest looking online for used kits. This way you can call the person and do direct negotiation/purchase. Depending on where you live, I could give you some sites where you could buy used stuff. PM if you are interested and we can go from there.
Sam-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Groupie
 
El_terribley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: outside your window
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Y View Post
That's interesting man since I find myself in the exact same position you were in. You got me thinking even harder now lol.
Are you bleeding from your ears yet?
El_terribley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.