Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Songs from the Golden Age of Reggae
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Winston Rodney- aka Burning Spear, the Elder Statesman

Carrying the torch for the gospel of Marcus Garvey, Burning Spear is one of the single greatest proponents of self-determination and self-reliance for all African descendants, but his message is not exclusively based on the teachings of Garvey. Through his music, Burning Spear has consistently been able to educate, inform, and uplift people the world over with his positive message based on honesty, peace, and love.

Down the Riverside - Burning Spear This 1977 album by Spear is still my favorite. Burning Spear's sound is called "churchical" in Jamaica, because because a lot of it comes from gospel music.

Days of Slavery - Burning Spear I never went to a Spear concert where he left the stage without singing this classic song from Marcus Garvey. It has a hynotic groove. This is an updated version of the song Spear recently recorded.

Marcus Garvey - Burning Spear This is another re-recording of a song from his classic Marcus Garvey album. I chose these newer sessions because I'm sure most reggae fans have heard the originals and these sessions show that Spear is capable at age 62 of pouring the same amount of passion into the songs he wrote while he was still in his twenties.