Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #2540 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Judging punk entirely on The Sex Pistols is like judging prog entirely on ELP.

Which unfortunately a lot of people do in both cases.

And I wouldn't really call a song like God Save the Queen safe, at least in it's lyrical content.

Though I think in itself, Sex Pistols weren't really safe, because to be safe you have to be at least competent musicians, and The Sex Pistols were so freaking awful that there was indeed something fresh and defiant about their music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadead2 View Post
My problem with punk is not simplicity--you can do artistic and original things with simple formats, as in the best of pop. And yes, you're right that post-punk did take its spirit and drive from punk, but that has no bearing on the actual quality of punk music. Maybe I was wrong to say that Never Mind the Bollocks had a negative effect on music, but that does not change its content: slick, safe hard rock based on fat, glossy power chords, with by modern standards little energy or intensity,
I don't know how you could possibly say The Sex Pistols weren't energetic and intense. Talented? No, but they were very energetic.

Just because their guitarist didn't give shred solos and make stupid "emotional" faces doesn't mean they lacked energy, if anything, energy was the one thing they had going for them.

Quote:
with artless, machoistic, and politcally unintelligent lyrics.
Dude, have you read some of Peter Sinfield and Greg Lake's lyrics lately?

I don't really know where you get the machoism in punk thing from.

I see a lot more women involved in punk than with prog. Hell, Rush were notoriously sexist, I say that even as a fan.

Since you hate punk and love prog, you'll probably get a kick out of these, or lose your shit and send your fist through the monitor. One or the other.

Death to the Beatles.
History Of Punk - Genesis, ELP & Yes
The History Of Punk - Tommy, Jethro Tull, Rick Wakeman & King Crimson

I remember reading these a few years and they sent me into a fanboy rage, saying stuff like "Punk fans with their short attention spans and utter disgust for talent wouldn't know music if it bit them in the ass". But now I just laugh at the stupidity of such elitists, and you should too.

I love prog AND punk, and I'm really tired of people who still think there's some kind of war going on. Can't we all just get along?

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.