Music Banter - View Single Post - Stipulations
Thread: Stipulations
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
The statement, "God is dead" means that certainty is dead. Nietzsche used it to describe that fact that if one believes in God, one has certainty of his morals and such. When I used it, I was implying that since we don't believe in a God, he can't give us morals to believe and we must find them for ourselves.
I can't really say that I don't believe in a God. I certainly don't believe in a big white man with sandals and a beard who lives in the sky and watches everything we do, but what I try to imagine is what people are feeling when they think of what God is. I try to formulate my own answer to the idea of God.
Quote:
Why do you need a morality?
To me morals are just standards. You might hold a certain standard of living for yourself; you might hope for a certain level of respect from others. And I can't really disagree that you should treat people the way that you would want to be treated. I think that if people actually practiced this "Golden Rule" the world would be a much better place.
And I know, I know... That's not the way the world is. But for me, that is the way it is. And honestly, I don't think one guy trying to put his ideals into practice is going to make things worse for anybody.

And on the topic of Nietzsche, I do think something he said holds a lot of weight, particularly in these times. And I think it was one of his most humorous quotes, although incendiary: "There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross."
I think that definitely illustrates a poignant fact about how 99% of Christians really don't know what it means to be one.