Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Default The Music of New Orleans VOL I

The Music of New Orleans is something I've wanted to write about for a long time. I spent the first 14 years of my life living in New Orleans and it's impossible to grow up in the Crescent City without being exposed to the jazz, R&B, French creole zydeco, Caribbean, and rock and roll that is the unique heart and soul of NOLA. The Music of New Orleans is intended to be a quick and dirty survey of about 20 or so artists and groups that are at the foundation of New Orleans music.

The Pianists

James Booker was the finest pianist you never heard and he was grand master of New Orleans piano in the style of Jelly Roll Morton. But the Spiderman was versatile and could play the blues, boogie, barellhouse, and the latest R&B or pop songs.

Champion Jack Dupree was the king of boogie woogie and blues in the Crescent City style.

Mac Rebennack aka Dr. John was the most commercially successful of the NOLA pianists and his awesome reputation as a player was hard earned. He's still one of the most sought after session pianists in the music business.

Roy Byrd aka Professor Longhair developed a rhumba boogie style of piano playing that came to define the sound of New Orleans piano. He is arguably the most influential of the Cresent City piano masters.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 07-17-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote